Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Cannot Find Server Or Dns Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dabwid_*

Guest_dabwid_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2004 - 08:26 AM

When I try to access my hotmail account I get this error "Cannot find server or DNS Error Internet Explorer". I have done a reformat, clean install of 98SE, upgraded with all the latest. I have tried to set all security setting on low and no firewall. I have added patchs from MS. I have tried to get to it from several various ways, MSN,Avant, Netscape and IE6 SP1. I have used test links for getting into secure sites and they were okay. Another site I can't get to is CNN.com. I have ran Spybot, Ad-Adware, Panda online scan, TrendMicro online scan And Sygate online scan. Everything came up clean. I have cleaned out the junk files. On MY MSN homepage I can see the e-mail messages, but I can not get into them. No wrong password/name errors, just "Cannot find server or DNS Error Internet Explorer". Any ideas?? Thanks.

Edited by dabwid, 05 November 2004 - 08:26 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 chip4brains

chip4brains

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:53 PM

First thing to do is to open a DOS prompt and ping the site. Your ISP's DNS server may be having problems with the site, giving you a site not found msg from ping. If ping does find the site you'll see the IP in the results. Copy this and try to go directly to the IP in your browser. All errors are not always spyware.

#3 Guest_dabwid_*

Guest_dabwid_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2004 - 08:04 PM

Tried to ping it. No go.

#4 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 05:43 AM

Call your ISP and see if they are having DNS problems on their network
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)