This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Problem I posted about few weeks back

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I had reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows and all the programs. We recently got a blue screen and this is the error message I get in blue screen. Can someone verify what it is and if there is a fix for it ? Not sure if its caused by any spyware or anything. *** STOP: 0x000000F4(0x00000003, 0x86E1BB50, 0x86E1BCC4, 0x805C8C7C) Thanks and sorry if I posted in wrong forums. Parth
Hi Parth, I moved this to General Hardware as possibly a more appropriate Forum for this work. The problem your machine is displaying, is most likely related to: Faulty HD (needs to run CHKDSK or Disk Diagnostic from Manufacturer) Failed RAM Memory - remove and selectively replace / run Memory Diagnostic Failing CMOS Battery (replace the Battery) Corrupted Device Driver (Check Device Manager, roll-back or uninstall/reinstall driver) Faulty IDE of SATA cable Incorrect setting of Master/Slave on IDE ribbon for PATA or Primary on SATA ___________________ I realize the above list represents a great deal of diagnostic work. Let us know the items with which you may need additional assistance. Best Regards, Doug
Doug, Thanks for moving my post. lol and ya its kinda lot of things. Let me answer the ones I can. ChkDsk has been run multiple times and it corrects errors and stuff. But Like I could run it right now, and it wont show any errors. But after blue screen, chkdsk ran automatically when computer was rebooted and it fixed some corruptions, etc. Mind you, this computer has recently been formatted. I have tried changing ram and stuff, will try again. And I will try to find a memory diagnostic tool. If you have something in mind, I will appreciate it. And how would I know if thats the problem. CMOS battery….Its a laptop. Never opened one of these before lol but I sure can try. I just order a battery ? Or is there any test for it ? Device driver…Like I said, this is a new formatted machine. Is it still possible ? And btw, I had formatted the machine cuz I was stuck in limbo and had made a post few weeks back where catbyte couldnt really find any malware and thought my HD might have gone bad. That might still be the case I guess, but computer is running fine right now lol. SO I am not sure if I should still order a new HD. Cable…I havent replaced any in laptop, but is there a way to check it ? Or do I have to order one and replace it and see ? And about the master/slave, I havent changed anything >< So can it happen randomly? Mind you, this laptop has been running fine for like 3-4 years or more now … So… Anyway, I hope you can give me a better idea or if you have any other questions, I can answer. But if it comes down to me having to get a new HD or something, I think I might just end up buying a new laptop. THis one needs to be upgraded anyway heh. Thanks again for your time. Parth
Well, Wife was using laptop and another blue screen lol. This time blue screen erorr is…. *** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x85D03898, 0x85D0380C, 0x805C8C7C) btw in this blue screen, at bottom it says… Beginning dump of physical memory. and thats it…. But I remember in the older blue screen, it had more lines, sorry dont remember though. So………..Is it time to buy a new laptop yet ? lol

0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message. One user, who experienced this on return from Standby mode on Win XP SP2, found the cause was that Windows was installed on a slave drive; compare KB 330100.


Have you ran HD diagnostics yet? If not then try this:
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.
Hi Parth,

Thanks for letting me know it is a laptop.
While the same difficulties can arise in a laptop that arise in a tower-case, some can be ruled out.

For instance,
It is unlikely that you have changed or compromised the Hard Drive Cable. So we can move past that one for now.
You also haven't changed the HD designation to Slave (if you had it wouldn't boot at all)

CMOS Battery can be difficult to get to.
If you haven't had any instances of DATE/Time loss/change, then let's move past that one for now.
______________

More likely are:

HD file structure corruption/failing Hard Drive
RAM memory failure
Driver corruption.

I'm also suspicious (now) of HEAT.
Since this is a 3-4 year old Laptop, it may have accumulated sufficient dust/lint/debris to choke the air circulation related to the cooling elements of the CPU and GPU.

There is no "definitive" indication of "air-circulation problem" because your fan is probably running, and at least a little bit of air is being exhausted from the proper place. Unfortunately, that does not guarantee that the exhausted air has actually "cooled" the CPU/GPU chips.

Let's see if we can get a Temperature Report.

Will you please download and run Everest 2.20 (free)
It will give you a read-out of Temperatures and voltages which could be useful information to us in diagnosing the present situation.

Download Everest 2.20 here for free: http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

After download, Select to Run Everest 2.20
Then in the Everest 2.20 panel, Navigate to - Computer - Sensors
Create a Quick Report in Plain Text

Include the Quick Report - Sensors in your next reply. :thumbup:


While you are doing that, I will develop additional comments regarding Hard Drive, RAM, and Drivers
Hi Parth, Sorry, I did not notice that rshaffer had also posted a recommendation. His recommendation is fine, and is much like what I would develop as a recommendation regarding diagnosis of the Hard Drive. Please provide Temperature and Voltage Quick Report, ala Everest 2.20 first. Then if you wish, you may initiate the recommendations from rshaffer, or wait for my additional comments.
Don't worry. We can run HDTune as a Hard Drive diagnostic later. Get those Temperature readings and post back. See ya on the other side. :)
Hey Doug, I hadnt seen this message from you. Right now, I am running DFT from Hitachi on the laptop. I am running Advanced Test, since when I ran quick test, it didnt show any errors. I looked around the web some and few different places I found people with toshiba HDs running this Hitachi test since there is no official diagnostic tool for a toshiba HD. I will get you the temp and stuff as soon as this advanced test is done. Please let me know if I am doing anything totally useless heh. Figured it wouldnt hurt to try it. Thanks again. Parth
Doug,

lol Ended up cancelling that DFT advanced test after seeing your next response. Anyway, here is the readings/report.



——–[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]————————————————————

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer KOMAL-THAKORE
Generator Komal Thakore
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2010-09-16
Time 23:53


——–[ Sensor ]——————————————————————————————————

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type HDD

Temperatures:
CPU 58 °C (136 °F)
TOSHIBA MK4026GAX 51 °C (124 °F)


——–[ Debug - PCI ]————————————————————————————————-

B00 D00 F00: Intel 82915PM Memory Controller Hub [C-0]


B00 D01 F00: Intel 82915PM PCI Express Graphics Root [C-0]



B00 D1D F00: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]



B00 D1D F01: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]


B00 D1D F02: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]



B00 D1D F03: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]



B00 D1D F07: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]



B00 D1E F00: Intel 82801FBM I/O Controller Hub 6 (ICH6-M) [B-1]



B00 D1E F02: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]



B00 D1E F03: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - AC'97 Modem Controller [B-1]



B00 D1F F00: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - LPC Bridge [B-1]


B00 D1F F02: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - ATA-100 IDE Controller [B-1]



B00 D1F F03: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - SMBus Controller [B-1]



B01 D00 F00: ATI Mobility Radeon X300 (M22) Video Adapter


B03 D00 F00: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM4401-B0 Fast Ethernet Controller


B03 D01 F00: Ricoh RL5C476 CardBus Controller


B03 D01 F01: Ricoh RL5C552 IEEE1394 Controller



B03 D01 F02: Ricoh SD Bus Host Adapter

Offset 00: 80 11 22 08 06 01 10 02 17 01 05 08 00 40 80 00


B03 D03 F00: Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection


PCI-8086-2590: Intel i910/915/925/945/955/E7221/E7230 MMR


PCI-8086-2590: Intel i910/915/925/945/955/E7221/E7230 MMR


PCI-8086-2590: Intel i910/915/925/945/955/E7221/E7230 MMR



——–[ Debug - Video BIOS ]——————————————————————————————

C000:0000 U…c…………………….IBM…………… 761295520……
C000:0040 ??…………..2005/06/22 12:57…..4…X!……..g.@(………
C000:0080 ..M22P A13 Dell Tobago 225m/300e…© 1988-2003, ATI Technologi
C000:00C0 es Inc. BK-ATI VER008.017M.192.068. mttbg-13.659 v611 .P22 PCIED
C000:0100 GD1U?..OEM VER.001.001..l……Dl..!.]…………….(.. `T….
C000:0140 ….\..wK…….…$TVS..z………f……………K………..
C000:0180 …. …PCIR..`T……..x…….ATI MOBILITY RADEON (M24) ….N
C000:01C0 ………………………….N…………………………..
C000:0200 …………..a……..ff………..\.`T0u@….A.…….A.….
C000:0240 …A.……L ….0…..4…..0…..4…..0.p…4….@0…..4…
C000:0280 ..0…..4…..0…..4…..0…..4…..0…..4….@0…..4…..0.
C000:02C0 ….[removed]..P ….P`……..X ……..
C000:0300 ..| ……….X`………J………J……..0….@.A…..=..x..
C000:0340 ..|……………………………………. ………..+…..
C000:0380 ..f……….`………..w.U………w.U..!…..I………….*.
C000:03C0 ……….*…&…….C…/…..m…..%…….""…….M…….[


————————————————————————————————————————

The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Parth, Do you have the Dell Diagnostic CD that may or may not have come when you purchased this Dell Laptop. If you do…. Pop it in the CD optical drive Start the Laptop Press F12 Select—- IDE Drive Diagnostics Let us know how that goes for you. Best Regards
The Reported Temperatures are "a little high" in my opinion, but not devastating. However, that is in a resting state for your Laptop. If you are performing a graphics intensive function (gaming, video rendering, even viewing video or gaming) the temperatures may go much higher and possibly cause your problem. Leave Everest open as you do some general common activities. Watch the Temperatures periodically. Let us know if the Temps increase as much as 10° more than what there are reported now.
Doug, I found all the different cds I had and ran diagnostic tool. Unfortunately, with every cd, it passes the DST short Status Test and then I get this msg…. No Diagnostic Utility Partition Found. To run diagnostics, insert your Dell "Drivers and Utilities" CD, then select OK to restart the system and boot off the CD. OK or Cancel…. And I did have that CD in the drive, still gives me that msg. So decided to boot with that CD and it ran the 32 bit diagnostics. There are only 2 options in it: Test Memory : This test passed and came all clear. System Test : It has bunch of options. I went into custom test and running HD tests now. Will update you on it later. I am gonna be out for few hours now. Thanks, Parth
Doug, I did a full diagnostic of all the devices, I guess it included HD and everything and all the tests gave PASS as a result. I didnt see anything in particular that said IDE Drive Diagnostics >< Does that help ? parth

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI