This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

video on demand doesn't work

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I used to be able to go here http://www.wkyc.com/video/player.aspx?aid=42939&bw= and watch that video without any problems. I could view it using either IE7 or Firefox 2.0. Now, for some reason, when I go there I can't get their videos to play in either browser.

I called the station and they said that everything worked fine and the problem must be on my end, so I called my ISP (RoadRunner) and the guy there said that it must be my firewall or my antivirus program. I turned both off while we were talking and the video played, so I thought that one of those must have been causing the problem.

After we hung up, I tried running the video again and it wouldn't work…I made sure the AV and Firewall were turned off and I made sure the Windows firewall was off…still nothing. I ran scans by AdAware and SpyBot as well as an av scan, and came up with nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help me solve this problem? Thanks.
Hi Tenthman, Your link worked well for me and an interesting one at that. It is not a good idea to be turning off your Firewall and AVG Antivirus for any time at all due to all the nasties out there that could invade your computer. Have you got the site included in your Trusted Zone in both AVG and your Firewall. Just out of interest I have not included it in my Trusted Zone of my firewall which is Zone Alarm and it worked for me. Have you tried using another Browser to see if that would work for you. I also advise you clear your internet temporary files cache, then reboot and try again. Are all your Windows Updates up to date? this is a very important so your computer is not compromised. Sorry I am not more help to you, post back with more information and let us know how you go. Kind regards,

I used to be able to go here http://www.wkyc.com/video/player.aspx?aid=42939&bw= and watch that video without any problems. I could view it using either IE7 or Firefox 2.0. Now, for some reason, when I go there I can't get their videos to play in either browser.

I think I've solved the mystery … I use HostsMan to edit my Hosts file, and this month's updates from MVPS Hosts is the culprit. When I turn HostsMan off, the video plays fine.

I'm not sure if having a Hosts file is worth the inconvenience of having to constantly edit it…especially one that is updated by someone that I don't even know.
Tenthman, :thumbup: well done, I have a hosts file with no problems and have never edited it . Perhaps another member will come by and fill in the gaps for us here. Glad you found the culprit, I would not have thought of that so you have done very well. kind regards, :blush:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI