Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

video on demand doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tenthman

tenthman

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:58 AM

I used to be able to go here http://www.wkyc.com/...x?aid=42939&bw= and watch that video without any problems. I could view it using either IE7 or Firefox 2.0. Now, for some reason, when I go there I can't get their videos to play in either browser.

I called the station and they said that everything worked fine and the problem must be on my end, so I called my ISP (RoadRunner) and the guy there said that it must be my firewall or my antivirus program. I turned both off while we were talking and the video played, so I thought that one of those must have been causing the problem.

After we hung up, I tried running the video again and it wouldn't work...I made sure the AV and Firewall were turned off and I made sure the Windows firewall was off...still nothing. I ran scans by AdAware and SpyBot as well as an av scan, and came up with nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help me solve this problem? Thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi Tenthman, Your link worked well for me and an interesting one at that. It is not a good idea to be turning off your Firewall and AVG Antivirus for any time at all due to all the nasties out there that could invade your computer. Have you got the site included in your Trusted Zone in both AVG and your Firewall. Just out of interest I have not included it in my Trusted Zone of my firewall which is Zone Alarm and it worked for me. Have you tried using another Browser to see if that would work for you. I also advise you clear your internet temporary files cache, then reboot and try again. Are all your Windows Updates up to date? this is a very important so your computer is not compromised. Sorry I am not more help to you, post back with more information and let us know how you go. Kind regards,

#3 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:24 PM

streaming media can be kind of flaky. sometimes it works well, sometimes not.
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#4 tenthman

tenthman

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

I used to be able to go here http://www.wkyc.com/...x?aid=42939&bw= and watch that video without any problems. I could view it using either IE7 or Firefox 2.0. Now, for some reason, when I go there I can't get their videos to play in either browser.

I think I've solved the mystery ... I use HostsMan to edit my Hosts file, and this month's updates from MVPS Hosts is the culprit. When I turn HostsMan off, the video plays fine.

I'm not sure if having a Hosts file is worth the inconvenience of having to constantly edit it...especially one that is updated by someone that I don't even know.

Edited by tenthman, 15 January 2008 - 09:58 PM.

#5 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:59 PM

Tenthman, :thumbup: well done, I have a hosts file with no problems and have never edited it . Perhaps another member will come by and fill in the gaps for us here. Glad you found the culprit, I would not have thought of that so you have done very well. kind regards, :blush: