Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Video And Audio Streams Dont Work Most The Time?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 agentcaviar

agentcaviar

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

Hi, I first of all wanna thank you guys with helping me with all my spyware problems and was wondering if you could help me with one more thing. Whenever i try to open up a music video from a website or streming music my windows media player encounters an unknown error. But music and videos on web pages dont work either so i dont think its the players fault. MTV dot.com tells me i need macromedia player plug in, so i install it but that doesnt help. Please help.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tlz

Tlz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:35 PM

Sounds like you need Active X plugins. But i'll leave this to the pro's....

#3 agentcaviar

agentcaviar

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:35 AM

i think i do. How do i get 'em!!!!! someone please please please help. Thanx.

#4 Tlz

Tlz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

First off you should download Spyware Blaster, install it, and update it. Have it running in the background. What it will do is protect you from certain ActiveX that can cause browser hijackings. Plus it will protect you from several kinds of malware. This program is invaluable. Next go here for resources and info: http://www.popie.com/security.asp
Finally you should run use Firefox as you browser and ditch IE. I only use IE for windows update. But make sure you do your homework as far as ActiveX goes. It's good to know the good and bad sides to it.

#5 Tlz

Tlz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:54 PM

I've found an even better reference page here: http://www.active-x....cles/whatis.htm

#6 agentcaviar

agentcaviar

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

ok thanx for the reply. The articles where insightful but i wanna keep IE. So how do i get the plug-ins i need? The macromedia flash pops up alot telling me to install it but it never works when i do.

#7 Tlz

Tlz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:41 AM

When you click to install them it goes blank? Thats strange. I'm guessing you'll have to reset your security settings for IE. After that go to a site and try to install a plug in and see (but to be on the safe side I would have to strongly recommened you have Spyware Blaster running). As for your settings follow this step by step: Open Internet Options from the Windows control panel and click the "Security" tab. Highlight the "Internet" icon and then click "Custom Level". Choose "Medium" from the drop-down box at the bottom, then click the "Reset" button. Click "ok", then click "Custom Level" again. Set your options just as I have listed below: .NET Framework-reliant components * Run components not signed with Authenticode (Disable) * Run components signed with Authenticode (Prompt) ActiveX controls and plug-ins * Download signed ActiveX controls (Prompt) * Download unsigned ActiveX controls (Disable) * Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe (Disable) * Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins (Enabled) (This actually refers to Java and Flash, not ActiveX) * Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting (Prompt) Miscellaneous * Access data sources across domains (Disable) * Drag and drop or copy and paste files (Prompt) * Installation of desktop items (Prompt) * Launching programs and files in an IFRAME (Prompt) * Navigate sub-frames across different domains (Prompt) * Software channel permissions (High safety) * Userdata persistance (Disable) Scripting * Allow paste operations via script (Prompt) * Scripting of Java applets (Prompt) Be aware that MSIE has many security flaws that will allow a clever site designer to bypass security settings, even if their site is in the restricted zone. More must still be done. Now you need to install SpywareBlaster. ActiveX programs need to use a CLSID (identifier number) before Windows will execute them. SpywareBlaster stops certain ActiveX CLSIDs from working by setting a "kill bit" in the Windows registry. This will stop ActiveX drive-by installations from programs that use those numbers, as well as preventing software already installed from running if they use that CLSID.

#8 agentcaviar

agentcaviar

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:23 PM

olrighty i did all that and i was finally able to successfully able to download macromedia flash player 7 from a link on MTV.com. But i still cant see any flash on some websites including MTV.com! im thinking a program or something i have is disabling active x content from running on my windows. Because my internet setting are all go (enable/prompt) and like i said my flash is installed. Got any more advice? Anyone? Thanx

#9 Tlz

Tlz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:36 PM

Well, I dont know what to do any further so i'll pass this to anyone else. If you've got patience and toleration you can try microsoft support here:http://support.microsoft.com/