This is interesting. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a built in Intel® Pro/Wireless 2915ABG Network connection that has been rock solid for 2.5 years or so. I connect to a Dell Wireless 2350 Broadband Router.
Starting tonight, when I turned on my laptop, the wireless connection has been dropping every few minutes, sometimes sooner.
I've tried repairing the connection, running netsh as follows:
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
I have not yet, tried powering everything off and doing an orderly powerup (router, then 2 desktop computers, then the laptop) but that's next on the list, nor have I tried repairing WinSock.
I applied some Windows Updates last night and I'm a bit suspicious that one of them may have caused this so I will back them out after trying the power off/on process.
Any other ideas gratefully accepted
Recently I was staying with family and this very thing happened to their network connection so they did what you have not done yet quoted below and all was fine thereafter. Below was done after attempting repair which did not work in their case either.
Ztruker wrote:
I have not yet, tried powering everything off and doing an orderly powerup (router, then 2 desktop computers, then the laptop) but that's next on the list, nor have I tried repairing WinSock.
Especially turn off the router and wait 30 seconds before reconnecting.
Thanks Tallin, that is next on my list. I did the easy stuff first (what I can do while sitting in my recliner ). Just backed out the two WIndows Updates, no help. Restored the registry to 1/6 (ERUNT backup), no help.
Now I have to (groan) get up and walk all the way into the next room to power everything off. Hope that fixes it. If not I'll take my laptop into my shop tomorrow and see how it behaves there. If okay then I'll replace the router.
Edit: Completed the power cycle, now have to wait and see what happens. Edit#2: Nope, that didn't fix it. Have laptop, will travel (tomorrow).
I always picture you as young and active - had a real laugh at your post. Sorry to get you out of your rocking chair!
It is a new year, so perhaps your router has decided to give you away.
I am sure you are more than capable of solving this. I always thought you were young.
All the best,
The longer I use the mystery machines (aka computers), the less I understand them!
Took it into the shop, connected to the wireless network and proceeded to download a 700MB Ubuntu CD iso image without a single error. Took about an hour and 30 minutes. SUrfed the net, connected to other computers, all worked flawlessly.
Okay says I, the router is going bad.
Came home, turned on the laptop, and everything works perfectly.No errors, no dropped connections.
Beats the heck out of me what was wrong. I suspect it will come back and if it does I'll replace the router and see if that fixes it.
I'm young at heart