limit
Topic Starter
I own a Dell Latitude D620 with an Intel ProSet Wireless. Last week the laptop was having all sorts of pop up and browsing problems along with RUNDLL32 not responding when I shut it off. I suspected Malware and was thankful to find HijackThisLog forum. A kind person helped me cleanup and told me I had a Vundo infection. You can check out the posts on the following link.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/http_url_adt…ng_t101340.html
While in the middle of our posts a new problem started where my wireless connection, which has always worked great suddenly started to drop off. This happened before we did any cleanup. But even after the cleanup the problem remains. He suggested I put it up on the forums here.
The problem is that it gets connected at excellent signal quality and then within few seconds the signal quality drops and the connection drops off. Then, it automatically tries to connect again and the same thing goes on and on.
What I have done:
1. When connected directly via ethernet cable to the Verizon router, my connection is fine (i.e. no wireless)
2. I have not changed or added any new equipment in our house or moved my laptops position that could bring about signal strength changes!!
3. I moved my laptop next to my router so that signal strength should not be a problem but that didn't help. Wireless connection still drops off
4. Called Verizon my FIOS internet provider (not at all helpful probably because they are either incompetent or are told not to help the customer beyond router settings!!) They changed my channel router setting to 11. They tell me they changed a few other router settings and ended up leaving it in a worse situation than it was (my wireless connection was showing exclamation marks and would not even connect) After speaking to the manager got it set back to my old settings and it is atleast trying to connect but still dropping off . They have sent me a new Verizon router and I will try that … but I am wondering could this be some sort of a Malware problem lingering around?
5. My husband who uses another laptop is also seeing the same problem when he connects wirelessly to our home router. He use to connect fine before just like I did and has connected to other Network connections wirelessly at work without problems since then. This makes me wonder could Malware or viruses infect the router (naive question as I know nothing about routers).
I am still in the middle of updating my security software and something new came up today. While installing Comodo Firewall, the scan listed 2 infected files. This post is now up in the HijackThisLog Forum for which I have given link above. One of the files is the SVCLauncher.exe which sits in DELLQuickset directory. I am wondering if this file has something to do with Wireless conneciton.
If so, I think I would like to have my laptop cleaned up and all my security software running before I put my new router in.
Please guide me as to how I should go about resolving the problem.
Thanks
http://forums.whatthetech.com/http_url_adt…ng_t101340.html
While in the middle of our posts a new problem started where my wireless connection, which has always worked great suddenly started to drop off. This happened before we did any cleanup. But even after the cleanup the problem remains. He suggested I put it up on the forums here.
The problem is that it gets connected at excellent signal quality and then within few seconds the signal quality drops and the connection drops off. Then, it automatically tries to connect again and the same thing goes on and on.
What I have done:
1. When connected directly via ethernet cable to the Verizon router, my connection is fine (i.e. no wireless)
2. I have not changed or added any new equipment in our house or moved my laptops position that could bring about signal strength changes!!
3. I moved my laptop next to my router so that signal strength should not be a problem but that didn't help. Wireless connection still drops off
4. Called Verizon my FIOS internet provider (not at all helpful probably because they are either incompetent or are told not to help the customer beyond router settings!!) They changed my channel router setting to 11. They tell me they changed a few other router settings and ended up leaving it in a worse situation than it was (my wireless connection was showing exclamation marks and would not even connect) After speaking to the manager got it set back to my old settings and it is atleast trying to connect but still dropping off . They have sent me a new Verizon router and I will try that … but I am wondering could this be some sort of a Malware problem lingering around?
5. My husband who uses another laptop is also seeing the same problem when he connects wirelessly to our home router. He use to connect fine before just like I did and has connected to other Network connections wirelessly at work without problems since then. This makes me wonder could Malware or viruses infect the router (naive question as I know nothing about routers).
I am still in the middle of updating my security software and something new came up today. While installing Comodo Firewall, the scan listed 2 infected files. This post is now up in the HijackThisLog Forum for which I have given link above. One of the files is the SVCLauncher.exe which sits in DELLQuickset directory. I am wondering if this file has something to do with Wireless conneciton.
If so, I think I would like to have my laptop cleaned up and all my security software running before I put my new router in.
Please guide me as to how I should go about resolving the problem.
Thanks