This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Vista Ultimate not running stable

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

ok, so stupid me, last year I bought vista ultimate when buying new components to build a new computer. I installed it at first, had huge issues, and gave up and installed XP instead.. but had issues with XP as well, and later was traced to defective ram, so I had that replaced, but never got around to re-installing XP. roll around to now, I figure i'd give it a try again, since I want to take advantage of DirectX10. I installed it (after a 2nd try, first time the installer froze).. and I try running the windows updates, and it freezes, after a few minutes of surfing the net, internet explorer freezes.. and im stuck. So fast forward to today, I'm installing it again. So here's my hardware setup: MB: Asus Striker Extreme CPU: Core2Duo 6400 (if i remember correctly) RAM: Mushkin Extreme ram (i tested the ram and they are fine - because i had corsair ram to begin with and they were defective) Video Card: 2x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC'd editions Sound Card: Creative XFi Xtreme Music Hard Drive: Western Digital 300gb Power Supply (if it matters): Enermax Galaxy 1000Watt any insights / thoughts ? Thanks in advance!
see, i can't even run the windows update program, and after a few minutes of surfing or even having the computer on, the processes start slowing down and freezing… i got to instal the video and sound card drivers, but after that, i gave up cause it froze even faster
in safe mode, windows update won't even start up when i click it… and when i run it in normal mode, it just hangs and explorer crashes.. temperature should be roughly mid 30's C. maybe high 30's after a few reboots.
Well, your temperatures are great. I think I would make sure I had all the latest XP drivers from the ASUS website, pull all your extra hardware, one graphics card, and try again using the latest drivers.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI