This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Spyware And Norton Av Liveupdate Problems

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Recently I was severely infected by a couple of w32 viruses and spyware. I think I have eliminated most everything and seem to be back in pretty good shape after having loaded and ran (many times) the following:
Ad-Aware SE Personal v1.03
SpywareBlaster
Spyquard
Spybot S&D v1.3
McAfee Stinger
CWShredder v1.59.1

I also have Norton AV 2002 which a run once a day.

My two issues are as follows:

#1- I am unable to install the 3 updates found when I run Norton AV LiveUpdate. After the updates have been found and the install begins a Norton message pops up that reads "The update process was unable to complete successfully. The files below could not be updated by LiveUpdate. C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\navap.sy^".

#2- Each time I boot up a "Network Connecting" box pops up which reads: "You (or a program) have requested information from static.callinghome.biz. Which connection do you want to use?

For both problems all I can do is just hit cancel. I would like to remedy both if possible.

Below is my HijackThis log file:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 10:16:49 PM, on 8/25/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.0002.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver\LVCOMS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\gxwfpwe.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4E8F340E-E96F-08C6-8050-64550DA77A18} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\zdrrnv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.02.0002.1001\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.2001.0001\en-us\msntb.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.2001.0001\en-us\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.0002.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver\LVCOMS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dvrksbfczmq] C:\WINDOWS\System32\gxwfpwe.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {A7E092C3-692A-11D0-A7E5-08002B322F3B} (WebResponseAttachments Control) - https://webresponse.one.microsoft.com/oas/A…eX/FileXfer.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/…387/mcfscan.cab

Thanks for taking a look at this. I look forward to your reply.
Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.org!

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This! and fix these items:

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4E8F340E-E96F-08C6-8050-64550DA77A18} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\zdrrnv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dvrksbfczmq] C:\WINDOWS\System32\gxwfpwe.exe


Reboot in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to tell you how if necessary.

Find and delete:

c:\windows\system32\gxwfpwe.exe <— file

c:\windows\system32\zdrrnv.dll <— file

Some malware files may be "hidden". Use the link in my signature to explain how to show "hidden" files if necessary.

Reboot in normal mode and post a new log file. :)
Thanks for your reply. I have followed your instructions and have ran HijackThis and "fixed" the R3, 02 and 04 items. I also was able to find and delete in Safe Mode the gxwfpwe.exe file. Although I checked "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system files" in the control panel, I could not find the zdrrnv.dll file to delete. Here is a copy of my latest log file:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 11:32:25 AM, on 8/28/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.0002.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver\LVCOMS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNIA\msniasvc.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNIA\WA\ClientSideProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:9022
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.02.0002.1001\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.2001.0001\en-us\msntb.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.2001.0001\en-us\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.0002.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver\LVCOMS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: View Original Image - C:\program files\msn\msnia\wa\getoriginal.htm
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {A7E092C3-692A-11D0-A7E5-08002B322F3B} (WebResponseAttachments Control) - https://webresponse.one.microsoft.com/oas/A…eX/FileXfer.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/…387/mcfscan.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{CE6A1FA8-1E23-4CD1-AA45-655FAF77BD6E}: NameServer = 209.244.0.3 209.244.0.4

As for my original problem #2 I have reinstalled Norton AV and have now been ale to install all updates through Live Update.

Hope I am now clean of all spyware!!!!

Thanks
The log looks good!!! :thumbup:

GOD bless!!!!

M68 :)

Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:

Read "How did I get infected in the first place?" here:

http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957

Download IE-Spyad here:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

IE-Spyad puts over 4000 known malicious web sites into IE's "restricted zone" to help prevent you from getting infected.

Check your browser settings here:

http://browsercheck.qualys.com/index.php

A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.

Follow safe Internet practices:

1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.

3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.

4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.
(Personally, I'm NOT recommending SP2 for XP at this time)

Thank you again for the help! Also, thanks for the note about SP2. I have considered making the upgrade but thought it best to leave as is for the time being. I imagine some bugs will need to be worked out with it. I think I'll let someone else be the guinee pig. Besides, I have dial up and it said it would take over 5 hours to download. Yikes! God Bless!!! And thanks again for all the help and suggestions. :wavey:
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it
reopened, please send us an email (Click here to email) with a link to your thread.


Donations in support of this Web Site are always appreciated

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid,
working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used.
If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI