This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Defragmentation problems

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Alright. So i'm trying to fix up my girlfriend's computer and I figured the best place to start would be either the corrupt windows files, the corrupt game files, the games that won't uninstall, or….a defrag. So i try defraging and it goes for an hour moving files and such when suddenly this pops up "Defragmentation is complete for: HP_PAVILION (C:) Some files on this volume could not be defragmented. Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files." so I look at the report and Volume HP_PAVILION (C:) Volume size = 106 GB Cluster size = 4 KB Used space = 50.80 GB Free space = 54.93 GB Percent free space = 51 % Volume fragmentation Total fragmentation = 20 % File fragmentation = 40 % Free space fragmentation = 1 % File fragmentation Total files = 104,149 Average file size = 736 KB Total fragmented files = 3 Total excess fragments = 268,904 Average fragments per file = 3.58 Pagefile fragmentation Pagefile size = 576 MB Total fragments = 1 Folder fragmentation Total folders = 8,548 Fragmented folders = 1 Excess folder fragments = 31 Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation Total MFT size = 136 MB MFT record count = 116,138 Percent MFT in use = 83 % Total MFT fragments = 5 ——————————————————————————– Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented 268,101 24.95 GB This is the damage this machine has taken from no defragmentation in over 2 years I did a disk scan with "Automatically fix erors" on and it found some windows files and maps for a game that were screwed up and can't be fixed by it. If there's anyone that can help, it would be so greatly appreciated. I want to go into computer tech one day so I guess this can be a learning experience
There are always going to be files that cannot be derfragged in XP. They are locked and in use by the system and/or cannot be moved.

Fragmentation is not the cause of the problems you are trying to fix, nor is it a significant factor in system performance. That being said, you can:

Click on Start then Run, type chkdsk c: /f and press Enter. Respond Y when asked if you want this to happen at the next boot. Shutdown and reboot and chkdsk will run and should be able to fix any file system problems.

If not , the hard drive may be going bad. Best thing to do then is download the diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturers web site (diskette or CD image version) and run it, see what it says about the health of the drive.
I generally recommend running chkdsk /r instead of /f. Using the /r option includes the same checks as /f, but does a more thorough job of testing and, if possible, fixing the hard drive. If you enter chkdsk /?, you can see the options.

Also, you should always defrag your disk in Safe Mode for the very reason Ztruker mentioned. In normal mode, a great many files are opened and locked. In Safe Mode, only the minimum number of files are opened and locked.

Finally, you should always clean your hard drive of clutter before defragging as it is counter productive to defrag with potentially 1000s of tiny temporary files on it. CCleaner is a great disk cleaning program that is excellent at cleaning the system of temporary files, including all history, old logs, Recycle Bin contents, and cache files. During installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar. Before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked. To delete all "tracking" cookies, (which I urge you do), you must delete all cookies, so ensure the Cookies setting remains checked. Ensure you know your site credentials (user name and password) for sites you frequent; you will have to login again at next visit.
Just to be certain, from a DOS prompt, or from Start > Run, to run chkdsk on the C drive you would enter:

chkdsk c: /r

To check D drive:

chkdsk d: /r

Note the drive letter comes after the command name and before the switch. And there is a space before the drive letter and after the colon ":".


I would run chkdsk before attempting to delete the games.

Have you done a complete malware scan? That is usually the first thing I do when troubleshooting a PC so I know I have a clean platform to work from. Here's a link to my canned text on Cleaning Out Malware. Use it if you don't already have a complete security suite and disk cleaning utilities to rid your system of malware and clutter. You can also use it as a guide to build your own security suite, and to help you develop a "Practicing Safe Computing" self-discipline.

If, after running chkdsk and ensure your system is clean of malware, you still can not delete the games through Control Panel Add and Remove Software, or through the game's own uninstall applet (if not on the Start menu, look in the game's folder), then you might try deleting them in Safe Mode, or if that does not work, you can use MoveOnBoot. This is a nice little program that will remove stubborn files during the next reboot, and before any hooks get put into the offending files.
I've tried, but can't get it to boot in safe mode, and due to my inexperience I'd rather not practice on a computer I don't own. Thanks for all of the replies, but I believe they're just going to let it be. They don't mind that it runs like stuff, so I'll just stay concerned with getting my comp. one of these days. Thanks again.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI