This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Defragmenter Issue

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've had my laptop for about 6 months now. I compulsively Defragment my Hard Drives as well as scanning for all manner of unwanted files on my computer (mal/spy/adware). If my desktop takes more than a minute to boot up (I count this from the point of bootup, wait for the Avira logo to show up and finally an error that shows up because I have Windows Defender disabled(this has never proven a problem) I defrag it. However, recently I've found that my Defragmenter is taking much longer than usual to finish defragging the first time (about 10 minutes) while subsequent defragments during the same session can take less than 2. I use 30 gigs out of my 283 gig harddrive, so I assume it shouldn't take that long. I've done all sorts of scans and such but have found nothing. Figured I'd get your input before I make and post a Hijack this long to see if there's any problems. Thanks for your time. Running Vista 4gb RAM 1.8ghz dual core processor
Hi and welcome to What The Tech!

However, recently I've found that my Defragmenter is taking much longer than usual to finish defragging the first time (about 10 minutes) while subsequent defragments during the same session can take less than 2. I use 30 gigs out of my 283 gig harddrive, so I assume it shouldn't take that long.

It is not about how much GB you have filled on your hard drive, but the amount files/programs you have deleted and created. It could just be very fragmented by bad luck if you have deleted and added a lot of file and programs.

I've done all sorts of scans and such but have found nothing.

What programs did you use?

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.
Ah, that might be the problem. I recently deleted Microsoft Visual Studio and Torque Game Builder from my laptop, which is around the time the defragmenter started slowing down. I have a few pieces of software I use, but I keep most of them disabled and turned off unless I'm using them to prevent wasting memory/RAM. I use. Avira Anti-Virus-Keep running constantly Malware Bites-Only runs when you choose to run it I believe. And Ad-Aware-Enable only when I want to run it. I have Windows Defender disabled and a Norton trial that came with my laptop. Never activated it. But the deleting of those 2 programs may very well be the problem. Will the slow down disappear over the course of more defragmentations?
Hi pmround,

If my desktop takes more than a minute to boot up (I count this from the point of bootup, wait for the Avira logo to show up and finally an error that shows up because I have Windows Defender disabled(this has never proven a problem) I defrag it.

Do you mean you shutdown each evening, and defrag everytime you bootup each day? That is far far to much defragging and not necessary in my experience. Once a month is adequate for normal use of a system.

However, recently I've found that my Defragmenter is taking much longer than usual to finish defragging the first time (about 10 minutes)

I see nothing out of the ordinary with the time taken for your defragmentation, each time you enable a defrag all the files on your Hard Drive are checked and however many you have it would take at least 10 minutes to defrag them.

What defrag program are you using? Alot depends on our answer to your query if you tell us the software used.

Have you heard of this saying? 'If it ain't broke, don't be fixing it'?

kind regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI