This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] adssite

26 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Another member, Nonsuch, suggest we try this:

To uninstall Firefox completely, you may want to clear out everything related to Firefox, e.g., the profile or profiles, add-ons and cookies.

Profile info here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

Uninstalling Firefox does not remove the user profiles, etc. To get a truly clean re-install, it all needs to be removed…

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox

In XP, the profile folder is usually located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles I would just nuke the Mozilla folder and all its contents

I would also go to the Program Files folder and nuke the "Mozilla Firefox" folder there.

Download Firefox from its official site.
I got another popup and I still see in my registry editor that I still have adssite on my computer. I'll do the whole uninstall thing on firefox. Let's see if it can get rid of adssite.

I think that worked? I hope it did! :) I don't see adssite on my registry editor nor there is any pop ups! YEAH! :) Thanks a lot!!!

I'll leave this open for another day and see if all is well :thumbup:

Thanks Nonsuch :thumbup:

Thanks nonsuch! :) There are no adssite popups and I don't think its on my registry. :)

Great.
I don't know if we've done this already or not:


Good job :thumbup:

  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

    • [external image: Posted Image]
  • If shown the disclaimer, Select "2"


Here's my usual all clean post

Log looks good :D


You need to create a new Clean restore point.

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Click Start Menu > Run > copy and paste

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press OK. Choose Create a Restore Point then click Next. Name it (something you'll remember) and click Create, when the confirmation screen shows the restore point has been created click Close.

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Check "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, Uncheck "Show hidden files and folders."
Check "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.

  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week
    (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

  • Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer.
    Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over.
    I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients.
    Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

    For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

    Understanding and Using Firewalls

  • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly.
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
    If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site
    until there are no more critical updates.

  • Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.
    This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection.
    You should also scan your computer with this program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers
  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer
    settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

  • IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

    Using IE-SPYAD to help block unwanted sites and activities

  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly.
    Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Only run one Anti-Virus and Firewall program.

I would also suggest you read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
by Tony Klein

Thanks nonsuch! :) There are no adssite popups and I don't think its on my registry. :)


You're very welcome, Mai. I'm glad I was able to help a little. :thumbup:
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI