This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Lost sound during malware debugging

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I just finished a fantastic first experience with your malware experts. A LDTate successfully chased a nasty trojan from my computer. However, at some point during the process I lost my sound/volume from the computer. You can check the logs of our steps, but at no point did we engage any hardware so it is not a matter of an unplugged line–although that didn't stop me from checking. They are exterior speakers with SB Audigy 2 ZS soundcard. Perhaps someone could help me troubleshoot or see if I inadvertantly erased my soundcard? Thanks.
Check your Sound and Audio Devices Properties

Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices

On the Volume(tab) panel, be sure that "Mute" is left uncheckmarked/ticked
On the Volume(tab) panel, be sure that the it: "Place volume icon in the taskbar" is checkmarked/ticked

Double-click on the Volume Icon in the Taskbar and check to be sure that none of the selections are set at Mute or too low to hear.

Check in Device Manager for - Sounds, Video, and Game Controllers.
Your SB Audigy should be listed there without any yellow or red "warnings"

Let us know what you find so that we'll know if more steps are necessary.

Best Regards
I have the exact same problem. However, my sound device (Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX) does not show in the device manager. Predictably, I cannot find the original system disk. I downloaded the latest drivers and got an error message that the I could not load them because I was restricted from this operation by the system administrator. This is an error that also began with the malware. Originally I could not access the control panel, getting the same error, but I was able to get around this after running several anti-spyware anti-virus programs.
Hi cuchulain

Malware has become savvy to efforts to limit its damaging effect.
Among the elements of that savvy are scripts to turn off firewalls, anti-malware utilities, and administrative tools.

If your machine is still demonstrating problems with administrative access or permissions, you may still have some portions of an infection remaining in the machine's system.

You may benefit from assistance over in the Malware Removal Forum, if for no other reason than for reassurance that the infection is gone.
__________________

As for the SB Audigy, you may need to have the software installed before using the downloaded driver installations.
Sound Blaster will probably "work with you" to assist in obtaining the original installation software if you contact them and describe your situation.

Best Regards
Thanks Doug. Turns out I've defeated Malware! I've got sound back and all other functions at this point. It was interesting, like an extended battle. Each time I ran various anti-spyware and anti-virus programs I had a little more success. Finally, I seem to have everything back. That software is insidiously brilliant. It creates problems, takes away solutions, then offers solutions that are in fact sources of more problems.
Doug, Got on the phone with my Dell people and reinstalled a sound card. You may close this thread.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI