On morning I got a BSOD message to the effect of "there was a hardware change etc…I re-booted my Dell Inspirion 8200 only to get a black screen that states that no hard drive can be found, then I heard a whole lot of scratching noises from the Hard drive. It is evident the Hard drive is toast.
Now I have a new hard drive (already has Win Xp on it) and I get is:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard driver to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your conputer.
Greetings Erics1969
Welcome to WTT
Let me see if I understand. You had a harddrive fail and you replaced it with another. Right?
This Harddrive you used as replacement was BLANK or NEW and you installed a FRESH copy of XP pro on it? Right?
If it was not Blank or NEW it will not work. The error point to Windows saying it does not have the proper DEVICE drivers to continue to boot.
There is only one exception I know of , is a exact byte to byte mirror copy of the original installation created by software from the original installation to be put back into the same computer.
But why will it not work?
In simpler terms, its like putting a Ford engine in a Chevy Car. Yeah its an engine but all the holes dont line up. Not worth the trouble or expense to try to make work either.
In more exact term, it would be inviolation of the Microsoft End user license agreement (EULA) to put more than one of the same copy of Xp in more than one machine. One copy, One machine.
So what do I do?
Format the drive and reload the os from the provided disks from Dell.
What if I dont have the disks?
Contact Dell and they will sell them to you
If I have jumped to a wrong conclusion let us know as well.
Regards
Kaz.
Appreciate the reply Kaz
What I did was take a working Hard drive from my work Computer (dell laptop) and installed it into my problem Dell laptop (both Insprion, both are Hitachi Travelstar)
I guess that could be the issue, but Ive did something in the past like that with a desk top and it worked fine.
I did buy a new HD off Ebay and am going to try and install that tonight…to my knowledge it has never been used or had windows installed on it
Greetings Erics1969,
Yes, I have had that experience as well. The equiptment has to be simular on a number of different levels to get a fighting chance to get Windows to continue to boot. Get all of the bolt holes to line up so to speak. I cant get past the Licensing requirements in my line of work though, I wish to remain employed.
Using the Restore/os disks provided by Dell, you will get an opportunity to make partitions and format them as well. So even if the drive has information on it you can erase it and start fresh. I would be sure to do this even if the drive you get is reported to be never/or not used. Never know what sort of uninvited guests may come with the hard drive.
Good luck and If you run into issues, give a holler and we will try to help you sort it out.
Regards
Kaz
Kaz
Apprecaite the help….truly! And yes, I do not want to do anything Illegally, so I dont want to go around licensing, by any means.
I am a layman when it comes to computers…I am self taught on a lot of things with computers, but master of none of them!! I am no fan of my Dell laptop by any means. This laptop has been a night mare…I ve lost one mother board, 2 Hard drives, both fans, countless electrical issues, and a Kaput port replicator. I f I had any money Id buy a Mac I swear!
Once again Thanks for your help, I will let you know how it goes!
I get that same error message. I have only a master drive, and it wasn't working. so I opened up my other computer, and swapped the drive. now I get the blue screen. ***STOP 0x0000007B - check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. I don't understand, normally when I swap drive, the computer just picks up on it, and goes on. I'm I missing something