This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blue Screen of death!

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I'm hoping somebody can help me! When trying to boot my computer up, I get a blue screen with this error message: a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk/f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restat your computer. Technical information: stop: 0x0000007B (0xF8A15524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)" I've tried restarting it several times, and get the same error message. This even happens when I try to boot up in safe mode. Can somebody help me out?
Hi Phillies1,

Sorry about the delay.

Because many of the problems can be relatively serious and predictive of hardware failure, a first priority should be for you to consider what documents, files, pictures, tunes, etc. you wish to preserve. That's because some of the potential solutions could cause you to lose data.
Do you already have a good backup of your documents, pictures, tunes, etc?
If not, then that should be our first order of business.

This particular Stop Code Error can have one or more of many causes.

We need additional information about what resources you have for your XP operating system.
For instance, do you have the Installation CD from Microsoft or from your machine's manufacturer?
Do you have Bootble Rescue or Re-install disks from your manufacturer?
Do you have Recovery Console installed on the machine?
Do you have Recovery Console as a bootable CD?


Are you able to see the Master Boot Menu?
Where you can see the selections for:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Last know good configuration
System Restore

You would get to that menu by re-starting your machine, and then immediately and constantly tap the F8 Key until that Menu appears (before Windows tries to load)
It may take you a few tries to get to that menu.
It will be important for us to know if you are able to do so.

It would also help to know the Brand and Model of the machine, along with the version of the Microsoft operating system.

I realize I've given you several questions, some of which might be difficult for you to answer.
Please ask additional questions if you run into something which you don't know how to answer.

We'll await your answers, and probably have more questions.
But we will then be better able to offer a more informed solution.

Best Regards

Eventually we may need to cover one or more of the steps outlined here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm…p0x0000007b.htm
Hi Doug, Thanks for so much for replying! Here are the answers to some of your questions: We need additional information about what resources you have for your XP operating system. For instance, do you have the Installation CD from Microsoft or from your machine's manufacturer? - No, I cannot find it, but the sticker with the Windows XP product key is on the side of my computer. Do you have Bootble Rescue or Re-install disks from your manufacturer? - No Do you have Recovery Console installed on the machine? Yes, i can get to it by pressing F8 upon startup Do you have Recovery Console as a bootable CD? No Are you able to see the Master Boot Menu? Yes It would also help to know the Brand and Model of the machine, along with the version of the Microsoft operating system. It's a dell computer, operating windows XP. I'm not sure what the model is, it's an old computer, I got it in 2005. I was able to download on an external drive the Operating system XPUD. I have been using that to access any files I need, I am going to get an external hardrive so I can save important files. Thanks,
Hi phillies1, Until Doug gets back to you…try this: From the Recovery Console run chkdsk with the f switch the command is: chkdsk /f note the space , it needs to be there when chkdsk has finished you machine should restart…if it now boots correctly then rejoice! if you still get the same error message (a stop 7e) then get back into the Recovery Console and try the chkdsk again but this time with the p switch chkdsk /p if still no joy the try it with the r switch chkdsk /r let us know how you get on Regards paws
Hi Paws, Thanks for the response. Unfortunately it did not work, in fact when I tried to run chkdsk /f, I got a message saying "the parameter is not valid. Try /? Fr help.". I was able to run the chkdsk for p and r, but it did not fix the stop error. Thanks
Hi Phillies1, Ok I understand..it looks therefore like the file system may be OK on your drive ( if chkdsk didn't find any errors to fix) so the next step is to perform a repair installation of Windows. For this you will need the Microsoft XP installation disc. If you don't have it then borrow one from a chum and use that…. but make sure its for the correct installation of XP (Home Edition, Professional or Media Center) and with the corrrect level of Service Pack If you need directions on how to do the repair installation then post back (note the Repair installation of Windows should ( I say should!) preserve all your data files and applications, but it was a wise move to make sure that your back up was workable and up to date. When you accessing your hard drive using Linux did you see another partition on your hard drive of a few GB perhaps 6 or so?…… if so then this might be a "Recovery Partition" that could be used to restore your computer to its Factory state( ie exactly as it was when it came fresh from the factory……. but do note this is a destructive process that wipes out all your data files applications, Windows itself and all its settings and then reinstalls the factory settings with windows…) If you could tell us the make and model number of your computer it would help…. see your owners handbook, and the label on the back/bottom of your computer (with the serial number and the Certificate of Authenticity.( C of A)…. note please don't quote on the forum your 25 character alpha numeric serial product number (5 groups of 5) that appear on the C of A Regards paws
Hi Paws, I will have a copy of the windows XP disc on Wednesday, I needed to borrow one from a friend. Also, i will need assistance in actually using it, since i've never done it before. My computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 series. Also, I can access my hard drive through the xPUD operating system, but I'm not sure what I am looking for when you say "partition". The only files that were around the size you said (6GB) were the My Documents, Windows, and Program files folders. Thanks!
Whoa……. Slow down a moment… This stop error 0x7B is extremely common. It happens when the SATA port mode is changed from AHCI/SATA to IDE/Compatible or vice-a-versa. Do you know if you have a SATA hard drive? Please provide the service tag of your computer so I can look up its exact specifications. Its a simple matter to go into the BIOS setup (F2 right after power on) and toggle the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE/Compatible or the other way around and see if it resolves your problem. Do you remember seeing something about your BIOS checksum being invalid? Or, having to press F1 to continue on startup? Or maybe your system time/data is wrong? These are all signs your internal CMOS battery has gone bad and your BIOS settings have changed.
Hi Appleoddity, Thanks for jumping in before i might have done something I regretted! I'm not sure if I have a SATA hard drive, here is my service tag number 9200P81. Also, I don't reacall any of the symptoms that you described in your message. Thanks!
Sorry. I am not always receiving e-mail notifications of thread updates. As is the case here. Thankfully I was informed via private message that you responded. :) I looked up the info on your computer. Unfortunately, the hard drive in your system is not SATA. Therefore, not affected by the potential AHCI/IDE mode change. This 0x7B error is pretty common and basic. It is simply that the operating system can not read the hard drive. The only other time I see this when it is not a SATA mode setting is when a rootkit has been inproperly removed by an anti-virus and deleted a critical hard drive driver that was infected. After reviewing your thread, I don't believe I saw it mentioned that you should try the "Last Known Good Configuration" option when your boot menu comes up. This is found by pressing F8 shortly after the computer turns on, but before windows starts to boot. One of the options is "Last Known Good Configuration." Choose this option and try to boot. This might correct whatever problematic change occured. You did the only other thing I would've suggested which was make sure your hard drive was in good health with the CHKDSK /R command. It appears to have completed OK. Therefore, if last known good does not work you are back to performing a repair install at this point to get the system running. But, you may still be infected - if this is, in fact, what caused the issue. At this point, I'll just defer back to the capable hands of the other helpers here. Once you are up and running your first step should be over to the malware removal forum.
Ok, thanks for your help! I have tried the Last Known Configuration and still got the same stop error. Will you be able to guide me through the repair install, or should I wait for one of the other team members to respond?
Hi Phillies,

Please read the full instructions as posted by our Administrator, who also handles our sister-site GeekstoGo Forums.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-h…air-windows-xp/

It is a very step-by-step tutorial and you would be fine if you decided to follow the instructions in the first post authored by Admin.

However, if after reading the tutorial you have additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Best Regards,

Doug

Note: You mention that you have now borrowed a Windows XP installation CD of the same version and service pack as what you presently have installed.
Since your machine is a Dell, the disk itself must be labeled as a Dell XP installation CD.
A similar disk from HP, Sony, or often times even originally from Microsoft will not work on your Dell machine.
Hi Doug, Thanks for the reply! I was able to install windows back onto my computer, and now it starts up. However, I believe there are some settings that I need to adjust and can't quite figure them out. The first one is my monitor, it is set at the lowest resolution, and it will not let me adjust it. Also, I cannot connect to the internet. I didn't have much time last night to fool around and try to connect to the internet, but I belive it's because it does not read my modem? Any suggestions?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI