Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Dell Dimension 8100 won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 tvhevh

tvhevh

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

All: I just tried to reboot the other desktop on the home network, a Dell Dimension 8100. It didn't get through the BIOS startup, giving me the following messages: Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure Alert! Hard Drive Thermal Probe Not Detected! Alert! Cardcage Fan Not Detected! Alert! System Fan Not Detected! Alert! Chipset Heat Sink Not Detected! System Halted! It seemed to me that they were really overusing exclamation points in all of this, and found it amusing...but that was the only thing. The machine, of course, won't go past this point in the boot and start the operating system (XP Home--SP4, I think). I opened the side of the case up, and saw that the muffin fans are, indeed working. I haven't touched anything else. Any thoughts/advice would be welcome at this point. I want to see if the problems are hardware-related or not. Thanks in advance--Tom vonHatten

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Hello Tom,

Is this a new problem? When was the last time this computer started and ran successfully?

Do you hear any beeps? Also do you get the diagnostic lights on the rear of the tower?

Your computer is equipped with four diagnostic lights, which are labeled "A," "B," "C," and "D" on the back of the computer.

Here is a Dell page describing the translation of beeps and or lights plus some text errors:

System Codes and Messages: Dell™ Dimension™ 8100 System Reference

Just for starters see if anything on that page helps to pin-point your issue.

#3 tvhevh

tvhevh

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

Jephree: Yep, it's a new problem. I booted the machine up several days ago, and had no problems. It' s normally up all the time, and re-booted occasionally (every 3-4 days). I took a look at the lights and got A, B, and C reading green, and D reading yellow. That means "Other Failure".... I get no beep codes. Now what? Thanks--Tom vonHatten

#4 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

Hi Tom,

Well the Dell line as seen is:

See "[url="http://<a%20href="http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/contact_technical_support?c=us&l=en&s=gen"%20target="_blank">http://support.dell....;l=en&s=gen</a>"]Contacting Dell[/url]" in the Solutions Guide for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Would I be correct to assume that due to the age of this system that it is out of warranty?

If so I don't know if Dell support is free or not.

If not I would suggest following the initial guide lines listed under "Three yellows + One green" i.e Recovery mode from BIOS failure.

Set the configuration jumper to Maintenance mode and restart the computer.

Do not go further than this at this time but just see if it has an affect on the startup.

#5 tvhevh

tvhevh

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

Jephree: I couldn't find anything to describe how to set the jumper for "Maintenance Mode". The online PDF file shows a jumper enabling passwords (which has a jumper connecting the two pins on that set), a two-pin set for resetting the real-time clock, and another 4-pin set that is not described, but has "AUX" over two of the pins and "LED" over the other two when I look at the pin set on the circuit board. Underneath all this is the clock battery. The info, unfortunately, didn't say how to set the jumper for Maintenance Mode I removed the jumper from the "password" pins and tried to start the PC--no luck--I got all; the same messages. Oh--It IS way out of warranty--I bought the machine 5-6 years ago as a refurb from Dell. What if I disconnect the floppy drive? It's the only diskette drive in the system. Thanks--TvH

#6 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

Hello Tom,

You are correct that the diagram is not very well presented. My take on it is as follows:

Move the PSWD jumper to RTCRST then try to start up.

If this has no good result move it back to PSWD and then remove the battery for a minute then return. Be sure the battery goes back in right side up. Also whenever working inside have the computer unplugged from the wall/mains.

If this is a no go then we can start with some hardware testing but let's see how this goes first.

#7 tvhevh

tvhevh

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:19 AM

I tried moving the jumper to RTCRST--the machine wouldn't boot up. Moved the jumper back to PSWD. The machine started, and gave me the following messages: Invalid CONFIG info - please run SETUP program Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure Performing automatic IDE configuration... Primary Master: IDE disk drive Secondary Master: CD-ROM reader Secondary Slave: CD-ROM reader Alert! Hard Drive Thermal Probe Not Detected Alert! Cardcage Fan Not Detected Alert! System Fan Not Detected Alert! Chipset Heat Sink Not Detected System Halted! I then powered down, unplugged, and removed.reinstalled the battery. I checked that it was still at the proper voltage (3V)--it was. When I rebooted this time, I got the following: Invalid CONFIG info - please run SETUP program Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure Performing automatic IDE configuration... Primary Master: IDE disk drive Secondary Master: CD-ROM reader Secondary Slave: CD-ROM reader Time-Of-Day not set - please run SETUP program Alert! Hard Drive Thermal Probe Not Detected Alert! Cardcage Fan Not Detected Alert! System Fan Not Detected Alert! Chipset Heat Sink Not Detected System Halted! --Tom vonHatten

#8 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hello Tom, Appears the only change is the Config info and the Time. These were both erased by the RTCRST as was intended. Are you comfortable working inside the case? Are you aware of ESD precautions? If so I would suggest for starters unplug and re-plug the fan header for your CPU fan. If that has no good result try unplugging and re plugging the main 20 pin power lead. If that has no good result I would go ahead and unplug your floppy drive from the motherboard and see how that goes. Again if no go unplug your hard drive. Make a note of where the specific cables go so you can re attach later. So basically we will remove as much as possible from the system to see if we can get a good boot into the BIOS. At this point something is preventing the BIOS from detecting your motherboard sensors.

#9 tvhevh

tvhevh

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

I'm pretty comfortable with working inside the case, and am aware of ESD precautions. I'm making sure I have all the power off to the machine, and am keeping grounded to the case while I work. If I start getting nervous, I'll let you know. I unplugged the CPU fan header and the power to the motherboard, and replugged them--no luck. I then removed the floppy from the system, both data and power--still getting the same litany of alerts, and then the System Halted! message. I then took the hard drive out of the loop. I got a message after the Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure message that the hard drive wasn't there--then the rest of the Alert! messages I've been getting, followed by the System Halted! message. I've reconnected both the floppy and hard drives with the system. --Tom vonHatten

#10 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

Are you still getting the same LED pattern on the rear of the case? Here is another try: Remove all your RAM and then try a startup. Most likely the motherboard will just BEEP at you. Then re-seat one stick of RAM in the first slot and try again.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 tvhevh

tvhevh

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

I am getting the same LED pattern; three greens and a yellow, in that order. I'll get to the RAM check tomorrow; it's my wife's birthday today. mOre later Thanks--TvH

#12 tvhevh

tvhevh

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

Jephree: I unplugged, removed all the RAM, replugged, and tried a startup. Just beeping from the motherboard, as you figured. I shut down , unplugged, put in memory on one slot, replugged, and tried again--still beeping. I put all the memory back in and tried a reboot--still the same messages and system halt. --TvH

#13 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

That is curious. Did you / Do you have two RAM sticks? Try each stick and each slot individually.

#14 tvhevh

tvhevh

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

Actually, I have 4 sticks; 2 are 256 MB and 2 are 512. There are 4 slots on the motherboard, and I was instructed to use them as pairs--either the 2-256s ot the 2-512s. I'll try one of the 256s in each slot, and see what happens. I'm betting on beeping... --TvH

#15 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

You can also try each pair in the paired slots. Say the 256 pair in slot 1&3 then if no go try the same pair in 2&4. Ditto for the 512 pair. Just to see if the RAM might be the issue.