This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

No drive detected, but only sometimes..

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm on a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Windows XP Media Edition.

Twice, in the past two days, when I've started up my computer for the first time of the day, I have immediately received the error "No drive detected". One of these two times I have run the Pre-boot diagnostic utility and received Error Code 2000-0141 No Drive Detected.

The first time that I received the initial error, I rebooted once and the computer ran normally, except for a little apparent lag on the Windows XP boot screen which has occurred ever since (unrelated?).

The second time that I turned on my computer and received the No Drive Detected error, I had actually first turned on the computer and gotten a Windows blue screen error; I rebooted, and then I received the No Drive Detected error. So I rebooted again, received the same error, ran the diagnostic utility and then rebooted again, and the computer has worked normally since then. That was about an hour ago.

I have rebooted several times, trying to replicate the error, but I have not been able to. I am under warranty with Dell, but I am unclear as to whether it would actually be necessary for me to call Dell up. Is my hard drive in the process of dying? Or is there some less drastic explanation. I don't understand why I only receive this error sometimes, and not every time I reboot my computer. I'm looking for a little help pointing me in the right direction. Thanks
Hello, The first law of computing, back up, back up, backup! Your hard drive may be failing, yes this can happen with a new hard drive. Please back up all of your data. The recovery disc will not reinstall any of your documents, pictures, Etc… The issue can come and go, could even be caused by heat, but one time your drive will be dead. Once this happens you will not be able to recover your data (with out spending thousands of dollars).
Hi cdistasi,

HFCG's advice is well stated for you, and of course for all of us.

Many factors can contribute to your present problem, some simple, some complex, some mechanical, some electrical.

Dell provides a useful Trouble-Shooting protocol here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo…;l=en&s=gen

Since you "may" need to utilize your options under Warranty, you will necessarily be required to provide the information developed by running and logging the Dell diagnostic and problems-solving checklists.

The extent to which you decide to "do-it-yourself" will depend upon your comfort level and relative skill, and the nature of the dialog you develop with the Dell customer support technician.

Speak/write to Dell, sooner rather than later.

Best Regards
hi there. as always, HFCG's suggestion hit the spot! and as to Doug, contact dell sooner than later. if it's under warranty(esp parts warranty not just phone support) then whatever part/s in your computer that need/s to be replaced can be replaced FREE of charge. make use of the warranty! :D there's even a possibility of a mobo replacement(just thinking ahead). the error code by the way is a hard drive error. so yes, it's a hardware issue. sooner or later it will be dead! i hate it when it does but hey at least you got an option to have it replaced for free. best of luck cdistasi

Jul 6 2008, 01:40 AM

:blush: :pullhair: :wacko: holy mother of coW!
hahahahaha.
i don't check dates when i reply. :blush: my bad.
hahahahhahaha
got me kickin real hard!!!
geeeez….hahahaahahah
im stupid HFCG… i know…shhhh…
heheheheh
ok ok that's it. hahahahaha

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI