Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

dell 1520 laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 willow_may03

willow_may03

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

My daughter's laptop won't boot up. It shows the Dell logo then the screen goes black. When I ran diagnostics I get Error Code 0146 on the Hard Drive short test. Also says 2000-0146 and states Log Contains Previous Errors. Any suggestions? This is a Dell Inspiron 1520 and is only two years old. This happened before but I was able to get into a system start up repair somehow and fixed it. I don't know how I got there before. Just kept pushing F buttons as it was turning on, Now the F buttons just beep. I really don't know what I'm doing. When I ran the hardware diagnostics I'm getting Error code:0F00:1344 Msg. Block 1756515. I hit retry and get Msg block 3541631. Retry again and I get Msg. block 3549311 etc.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 willow_may03

willow_may03

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

This is a Vista system. I ran more tests and it failed the Confidence test the S.M.A.R.T. long self test the S.M.A.R.T. short self test the Read test the Seek test the Verify test

#3 willow_may03

willow_may03

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

Windows Boot Manager reads: Windows has encounted a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer. This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard-drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is connected and then restart your computer. If you continue to recieve this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer. File: \Boot\BCD Status: 0xc000000e9 Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

In layman's terms: Your hard drive is bad. It needs to be replaced. No series of F keys are going to fix that one. ;) Your daughter probably dropped the laptop.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#5 willow_may03

willow_may03

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:58 AM

s is it worth it or should I just replace the computer?

#6 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

You can get a replacement 160gn SATA 5400rpm hard drive for between $55 and $75US.
http://www.newegg.co.......&name=160GB

Removing and replacing the Dell 1520 hard drive is simple.
http://support.dell....s.htm#wp1115893

One possible Caveat: Dell has used a connector adapter on some laptop HD's. I don't know if your model uses one or not.
You will be able to easily identify if your machine's HD uses an adapter, because the gold connection wires will appear different from your newly purchased HD. If different, carefully remove the adapter from your old HD and carefully fit it to your new HD.

Personally, I'd make the HD replacement to allow me to keep the Inspiron 1520 vs. spending many hundreds of dollars to replace it.

You will necessarily have to install the operating system and drivers (hopefully from CD's that Dell has already sent to you, otherwise contact Dell for the CD's)
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#7 willow_may03

willow_may03

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:21 PM

How do I know which hard drive to get? Hers had 320GB HDD.

#8 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

If you want 320GB, no problem:
http://www.newegg.co.......&name=320GB

The requirement for that machine is SATA, 5400rpm

Note:

There are ATA
and
There are SATA

Your machine requires SATA
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#9 willow_may03

willow_may03

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

Thank you! I ordered the new hard drive.