This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

sp2

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

If you have windows home w/o sp2 and are receiving updates, are you as secure as a pc with sp2? Are you getting the same updates in other words? I gave my long distance friend, while visiting, a copy I burned of Windows sp2 but she is a newbie somewhat like me and if the install failed she would be stuck. I have a list of steps to take to prepare for the install but if it failed she would not know what to do. Would system restore work?. Two questions, sorry, but thank you.
If you do not have SP2 installed, then you are not getting all the updates you should, but more importantly, your PC is not as secure as it should be. In fact, the potential is high that PC is, or will be compromised and used as a tool against the rest of us! Not cool. You need to upgrade to SP2 immediately.

You can order for free (with free shipping to most countries) Windows XP SP2 on CD or download the Windows XP SP2 Network Installation Package.

Prior to upgrade:
  • Backup all personal data such as documents and pictures.
  • Export/backup email.
  • Export favorites/bookmarks.
  • Check the web sites of add-on applications and add-on hardware for upgrades, patches, new drivers, and/or SP2 warnings.
  • Delete cookies and Temporary Internet files.
  • Scan with updated virus scanner.
  • Scan with updated spyware scanners.
  • Defragment drive (optional but recommended).
  • Disable antivirus program (Note: It is not necessary, and I don't recommend you disable your firewall).

    And MOST importantly,

  • Ensure the computer is in perfect working condition prior to upgrade! SP2 is NOT designed to, and WILL NOT fix a broken PC!
Thank you for your prompt reply. I will do my best to help her install the sp2 disk I burned for her over the phone. I hope if there is a problem that system restore can fix it. I have a list of the things to do when i did mine.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI