This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Tried updating to Windows XP Home SP2 on-line

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My co-worker gave me a HP Pavillion 514n that was sitting in her back room (no software discs included), and it had Windows XP Home SP1. It worked fine, but when I went to install my webcam it said I needed SP2, so I thought I could upgrade with no problem. After 6-7 hours of updates over a span of 2 days, it finally prompted me to upgrade to SP2. After going through the installation, it sat on a blue 'Please wait…' screen for 2 hours, with no change. So, I re-booted my PC. Now it won't load normally, after it goes past the Windows XP Home loading screen with the blue progress bar, the monitor is blank and there is no screen displayed. I can boot it up in Safe Mode, did so and removed the SP2 using 'Add/Remove Programs', but that did not resolve my issue. Prior to trying that I tried restoring a system restore point, but no such luck - there was never one made previously. I had thought when upgrading to SP2 and it said backing up files that it was - my mistake. My roomie gave me her copy of Windows XP Home SP2 but when inserted and the PC is re-booted, it does not start up. I'm hoping I can just format the PC and install off the CDrom, but I don't know how to, and I'm afraid that if I format I won't be able to boot off the CDrom still :smack: Can anyone help me, or am I in too deep?
Yo! when was the pc made, cuz with HP, if you're lucky, you can use this lil copy of windows xp on your harddrive to reinstall windows xp in 15 minutes go to my computer. you have a c drive, OS then you MIGHT have a Recovery drive D????? anyway check for that, if u have it then we can fix everthing in 30 minutes lol anyway, other than that, i think the sudden impact to that system with all the updates just may have conflicted with some other software on the comp. it happens its windows try running a chk dsk from the cd if u need more info about it, lemme kno :P
I do have 'HP RECOVERY (D:)' and when I open it, it shows a gold lock that says 'RECOVERY' Is this like the equivalent to restoring factory settings? If that's the case, I know there's a good graphics card in the CPU, I don't know what kind - could I install the driver from on-line? And will I be unable to upgrade to SP2 myself after we recover? I have no qualms erasing anything on the PC, none of the documents are mine. Thank you for the help so far!!! :)
I believe you get to System Recovery by pressing F10 during boot. Should then be able to follow the on-screen directions.

The Users Manual (called Quick Start Guide) for the HP Pavillion 514n is available HERE. The instructions you want start on page 80.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI