First thanks to Tom for helping with a problem that I posted with PC-911. Your responce was written very clearly and from what I can tell accuratly. By the way, I have dumped AOL's spyware program per your suggestion. Is there spell check on here?
I'm running XP-HOME. System Restore will create restore points however none of them will work. The program did work b/4 but I haven't used it in months and I want it working if the install of SP_2 fails. As far as I know everything else is working fine with XP. The only update I am lacking is SP-2.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ross
PS: Another quick question. Is there a tutorial anywhere that I can educate myself in using forums. Short cuts, proper use, etc. I just know the basics I think.
Hi Ross64-
First you need keep in mind that system restore is not a utility, persay. While it can come in handy, its not ment for every-day-use.. so to speak. Have you set up any restore points yourself? You also might check and make sure that theres enough room set aside for it which you can do in the control panel under system icon and click on the "system restore" tag.
SP-2 has been awfully buggy, I havent applied it yet and probably will not for some time. what you might want to do is go to Microsofts site and just do the critical updates but thats just my opinion
As far as learning about the forums, seems you have pretty good idea how things work. Here at TC's (along with a few others) etiquette and courtesy are of utmost importance, spelling.. well.. I am the worlds worst speller so we'll give you some slack on that..lol.. anyway, can you be a little more specific on what you mean by learning the forums? maybe I can point you in the right direction
In addition, System Restore can get bogged down if the restore data base is corrupted. The fix for that is to disable system restore, reboot, enable system restore, reboot, and then manually create the first restore point.
Disable System Restore by following the instructions here,
Re-enble System Restore by following the instructions here.
You guys got me thinking about something else with system restore. It seams to me when I first started using XP there were only 2 or 3 restore points made by the program in a week. Now it's doing it almost daily. I have 79 restore points going back to Aug. 11th. That has to be taking up a ton of room. Is there any way to limit the amt.of times it can make a restore point?
Also, with all those restore points, is that why it won't work?