This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Updatie to SP2? Backup

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 9:54:02 PM, on 3/2/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) My Windows XP Home Edition is set up to get Windows updates from Microsoft. Tonight service pack 2 downloaded itself. First question: should I install service pack 2? My computer is pretty old (at least 4 years old). Will service pack 2 slow my computer down? Is it necessary to install it to keep my computer secure? If the answer is Yes, install SP2, then… Before installing I got a message saying: we recommend you close all windows and back up your system. So… What do I back up on my system (which folders/files)? Is it better to back up to CD or to a Firelite disk drive (if I have the choice)? How do I back up my data - is there a program for it in XP, or do I just copy the folders to the cd drive or the firelite drive? Can I go to Microsoft's windows update site to make it restart the SP2 installation after I do my backup? Thank you, Linda :unsure:
will SP2 slow your machine down?
Probably not.
Many improved processes and utilities in SP2 may "offset" any increased size of the operating system.
Your mileage may vary.

Is SP2 necessary to maintain "security"……… Absolutely/definintely/without a doubt/Yes

Back up to CD or to Hard Drive - user preference.

How to backup?
Yes, XP has a backup routine, but you may want to just save documents, media, and addressbook/favorites to CD……… less bother.

Then Set a Restore Point that you can go back to in the event of difficulties installing SP2 (unlikely).

Yes you can use Windows Updates to download/install SP2.
other methods:
for links to download and/or order the SP2 CD (recommended) (I keep 2 copies of the CD on hand)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

alternative download source:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=EN
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

Keep us updated with your progress.

Best Regards
>>Back up to CD or to Hard Drive - user preference. I was wondering which was faster… probably the hard drive. Also, I won't have to worry about splitting things up into CD-sized chunks. So I'll go with HD if possible. >> you may want to just save documents, media, and addressbook/favorites Please forgive me for being dense, but I don't want to leave anything important out. I figure I should probably include these: c:\Documents and Settings c:\Palm (I used to have a Palm V but the battery died; I think this folder contains my Palm's data) C:\InstallCD (a folder I created in which I place backups of downloads of software, such as FireFox, Avast!, etc.) Where do I find media, Address book and Favorites data? Do I need to copy any of these to backup disk: c:\autoexec.bat, c:\avgun.log, c:\boot.ini, c:\config.sys, c\io.sys c:\msdos.sys, c:\serialsync.txt, c:\ntdetect.com, c:\ntldr Anything from Program Files, kpcms (I don't know what this is), system volume information, Windows, or WUTemp (don't know what this is either)? >>Then Set a Restore Point that you can go back to in the event of difficulties installing SP2 (unlikely). Could you either give me step-by-step instructions, or post a URL for that? I went to the XP "Help and Support" facility and entered "Restore Point", and that software hung up. Nevermind. It eventually came back with the information I needed. My computer is not very fast - last night I also posted my HijackThis log in the other forum. I'm going to see if I can find my removable hard drive… Will let you know of progress. Thanks for volunteering your time and energy to help me, Linda :)
Yes, external Hard Drive will likely be faster and more convenient.

"media" refers to any songs, pictures, videos that you may have saved to your machine.

"favorites' refers to sites and links that you may have in your IE Favorites.
In IE, click on File - Import and Export - this brings up the Import/Export Wizard options
Select Export - Favorites
You will be given a target location in Documents and Settings to save the Exported Favorites file.
Save to the target location and also to your External Hard Drive or removable CD
Later you can use that Exported Favorites file to restore your Favorites in IE if necessary.

"Address Book", here I am primarily referring to Outlook or other email client you may use.
You will find an Export function, similar to the above.

c:\Documents and Settings <— not necessary if you've already save a copy of the specific documents
c:\Palm (my Palm's data) <— yes
C:\InstallCD <— yes

The following will get preserved when you create a Restore Point.

Do I need to copy any of these to backup disk:
c:\autoexec.bat, c:\avgun.log, c:\boot.ini, c:\config.sys, c\io.sys c:\msdos.sys, c:\serialsync.txt, c:\ntdetect.com, c:\ntldr

Anything from Program Files, kpcms (I don't know what this is), system volume information, Windows, or WUTemp (don't know what this is either)?


What you appear to be doing is "manually" backing up important documents, pictures, songs, files that you wouldn't want to lose if anything goes wrong during SP2 installaton (not likely)
But it is good that you are thinking on the safety-side, in advance.
Often, we get people asking for help because they think they lost something, and "didn't" think in advance like you have. :thumbup:

At some time in the future you may want to study some of the organized backup strategies and utilities that you might want to use to "automate" your backup procedure, and do it more regularly as a precaution.

Manually backing up can be "tedious" but it is just fine to do it that way.
And for saving to "removable source" like CD or Ext. HD, your plan is just fine.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI