Installer service fail to start
4 min read
Windows 2000 SP 4 here. After some tweakings and problems (including removal od some spyware and stuff) my Installer service can't be started. Hence, for example, installing anything is not possible. And, for example, FF can't use the M$ java, so…
Anyone know, what to do, beside reinstall, to make it working again?
The C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe /V file is here. The service is not disabled, it is on manual. However when in services I choose to start it, then in fail to and report that "service did not return any error", so it might be a Windows itself fault![]()
dayam. Anyone having some ideas, what to test?
Hi Trodas,
Did you
do this tweaking and spyware removal yourself or under guidance from an expert? who advised you to do this?After some tweakings and problems (including removal od some spyware and stuff)
Have a look in start>>settings>>controlpanel>>administrative tools>>eventviewer. Should give you a good description of what your problem is and perhaps guide you to a fix there.
Do you have the same fault when using IE with Java installed and enabled?
Post back if you need more help.
kind regards,
Well, not anymore. Dial-a-fix helped me greatly! http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
About the installer, I tried so far unregistering and reregistering msiexec:
msiexec /unreg
msiexec /regserver
Sadly no help either. So I tried installing the updated installer ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d…displaylang=en ), sadly no help either. Then I tried the unreg/reg trick again, just to be sure and it's still not helping…
So I fired up FileMon to watch what is going on when I try start the Installer service and the results are only 3 problems:
313 11:46:36 msiexec.exe:776 OPEN C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe.Local NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
336 11:46:36 msiexec.exe:776 OPEN C:\WINNT\system32\Program\picture.exe PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
363 11:46:36 msiexec.exe:776 QUERY SECURITY C:\WINNT\Installer INVALID DEVICE REQUEST
INVALID DEVICE REQUEST?!
I tried the eventlog too, but nothing about installer seems to be inside it. I cleaned it up and tried starting the service again and it made no log entry. Sadly. I did not use IE at all and I can't even use Java at all, because I can't install Java… I have IE updated to v6, but I stopped using it afer yet another infection and invasion of spyware, thanks to insecure IE.
Never ever again serfing with IE.
No, I was guiding by myself and deleting every register settings related to the new BSplayer spyware edition, lol. I never ever try it anymore, I promise
![]()
I tried take a look at the Dial-a-fix utility and I must say it helped me with my other problem - my windows positions are NO remembered before. It found out that there was set some nasty limitations (probably by spyware), witch caused these settings are NOT remembered.
Well, not anymore. Dial-a-fix helped me greatly! http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
About the installer, I tried so far unregistering and reregistering msiexec:
msiexec /unreg
msiexec /regserver
Sadly no help either. So I tried installing the updated installer ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d…displaylang=en ), sadly no help either. Then I tried the unreg/reg trick again, just to be sure and it's still not helping…
So I fired up FileMon to watch what is going on when I try start the Installer service and the results are only 3 problems:
313 11:46:36 msiexec.exe:776 OPEN C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe.Local NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
336 11:46:36 msiexec.exe:776 OPEN C:\WINNT\system32\Program\picture.exe PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
363 11:46:36 msiexec.exe:776 QUERY SECURITY C:\WINNT\Installer INVALID DEVICE REQUEST
INVALID DEVICE REQUEST?!![]()
I tried the eventlog too, but nothing about installer seems to be inside it. I cleaned it up and tried starting the service again and it made no log entry. Sadly. I did not use IE at all and I can't even use Java at all, because I can't install Java… I have IE updated to v6, but I stopped using it afer yet another infection and invasion of spyware, thanks to insecure IE.
Never ever again serfing with IE.
Trodas,
Each time you change your system when trying to fix it you are doing even more damage to it making it more difficult for our over worked experts to help you.
Please follow the step by step site below as I cannot further help you here.
After you post a HJTlog to the correct forum, (not this one) please be patient as the Expert Analysers (Volunteers) are so very busy your log will be looked at when they are able to do so.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI