This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't install service pack 4 on Win 2000

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I need some help. I can't install service pack 4 on my windows 2000 service pack 1. I always get this error and it won't let me continue with the installation. The file C:\winnt\system32\drivers\efs.sys is open
and it tell me that I need to close this application before continuing with installation. I get this error after I agree the EULA (the license agreement) and the program start inspecting my PC configuration. any help is appreciated.
I wonder if you have applications running from StartUp that are causing this problem.

Windows 2000 does not have a native System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG), like other Windows versions.
But fortunately Windows 2000 can run the Win XP MSCONFIG.

You can get it off of any Win XP disk or download it here:
http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

Follow the website's instructions to add MSCONFIG to your system.

Open MSCONFIG and take a look around in your Services and StartUp Lists

Start - Run - (type) MSCONGIF - Enter - ClicK on StartUp or on Services

Let us know how you are progressing

Best Regards
Hi dough, thanks for you reply. I tried to download MSCONFIG from the link that you gave me but I think the link is broken. I have the XP disk and the thing is that I don't now how to extract the file from it. Would you instruct me how to do it? Thanks
Here's another site you can download from, if the first one is not accessible to you:
http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm

It will be easier for you to download it than to "expand it" from your Windows XP CD
So give the second website a try! :)


Here's the command line instructions for "expanding" the MSCONFIG file from your XP Disk
Copy and paste the command code line to avoid mistakes and then "edit" the drive source and destination where you wish the file to be saved.

To extract: Open a command prompt window. (Start, Run, cmd.exe)
Insert your XP CD into the drive and enter the following command:
(Where "X:" is your cd-rom) (Copy & Paste to prevent syntax errors)

EXPAND -R X:\I386\MSCONFIG.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES
This will extract a new copy of the MSCONFIG.EXE from the CD.

If you don't have the CD, download the file from here:
http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads.html
http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads/msconfig.zip
Unzip the file and save any TEMP folder. Then copy/paste the MSCONFIG to Put it in the c:\winnt\system32\ (c:\winnt\ , or c:\windows\system32\ (c:\windows\ ) folder.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI