Safira
Topic Starter
Hi, I hope this is in the right forum….eyes are burning from computer hell all day
I have around 1.10 ghz and 512 mb ram. 89% free space about.
PHysical Memory (K) says Total 523760 Available 306224 and System Cache 255024
I have Windows XP pro 2002 and bought Panda Titanium AV and firewall 2007 this summer (I have 5? months left of it paid for) its supposed to come w/antispyware.
I've bene using the panda firewall and turned off my microsoft firewall. I used to have Adaware and the Spybot s &d but …ugh! Panda has been hell!! I am on dialup and the downlaod was like 14 hours so of course it got corrupted and after many calls got Panda to send me the disc.
I found out Panda was Not compatible w/Adaware and the company told me to uninstall all av and antispyware programs so I did.
As soon as I got Panda (have had it 2 years about) my system slowed down but considerably more after installing hte Panda 2007 this summer. of course, the company denied this and said to delete all other unecessary programs.
I deleted what i could….problem is, i dont know what some of my programs are and so couldnt delete them.
Please let me know the best way to get a list of my programs and waht to get rid of, thanks!
Id like to speed up my system so I can get Dragon naturlaly speaking program as well.
Steps I've taken to try to speed up my system: I defragged, disc cleanup, did quick restore for aol software 2x, uninstalled aol 9.0 optimized software and installed 9.0 VR. downloaded Windows updates No change.
I used to have Norton which I had to pay to uninstall
but it wasnt slow like this.
Aol said its because of my dialup access # but ive had the same # for years and not a problem like this. Also, its slow even when I"m Not online.
THey said to contact the manufacturer and restore the comptuer back to the factory settings. pr oblem is…..there is No manufacturere
its an old custom built comptuer ive had since end of 2002.
I assume that means a new installation of Windows
i have no idea how to do this.
and I have Not saved any of my programs (dont know how) or pics or enough of my documents.
I bought a flash drive to do this.
I'm assuming the slowness is not from too many programs because I have space left. I also use Open Office or Ms Word a lot.
Does Panda protect enough agaisnt spyware?? im wondering if its spyware.
Does my computer need more memory to speed it up? If so, how do I find out what type of memory I have/need and how to add it?
How much memory can my motherboard take?
Is it because I have an old processor?
Im wondering if this computer is worht it to put more $/memory in it. HOw many more years does it/the hard drive have left?
How do I save my programs? The only disks I have are the operating system, Panda 2007, Open Office and Aol.
ANother problem is when I was given this custom built computer, I did not know they put an Illegit copy of Windows
so last year I had to electrocially change it and got it legit w/a key for $160! I have not used the windows disc at all bec it will erase everything ive been told and i dont know how to back up my data. also Ms Office is illegit they put on here so I dont get all updates for it
I called a techie here and they said to 1)Download AVG free edition 2)uninstall Panda av 3)install AVG
I have not done that yet because i want to ask your opinion first ….should I do this and in what order?? since installing panda gave me so many problems. I dont want to get a virus downlaoding avg since i assume will be a horrendously long download
so i should do that whiel i still have panda right? Avg has no tech support for the free version
Also, AVG has to have a separate downlaod for their Antispyware package
and they have No firewall w/the av package
I checked AVast and i could see no antispyware download too. I was told AVg is less of a resource hog than AVast…..is this true?
Should I after I download AVg, downalod Adaware to take care of spyware? is it hoggish more than Avg's program?
I will lose my Panda firewall once i uninstlal panda (if you think i should) so should I turn back on my MIcrosoft Firewall?? do you trust it?
Somoene said to download Belarc Advisor 817 KB to get an inventory of my computer/list of all my programs. id like to do this……will this slow my system down more?
My hope is if I switch from Panda to avg my system will speed up. problem is…if the processor is old…well eventually my old hardrive will go out so I have to find out how to save my programs etc. i wasnt sure where to post for that help.
I hope I can get away w/adding more memory and use this comptuer another year or so. If you think I should get antoehr comptuer
please tell me what forum to post for advice for that too.
Whenever I do get antoher computer, should I buy one w/No operating system or else I would be stuck w/this $160 operating system . I assume if I find a computer w/no os, it wont have any other software too?
Please help!! im overwhelmed
Thanks, Safira