This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Super slow computer

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer was fine somewhat, a tiny lag but I have hi-speed om road runner. I also have little memory only 64 MB and an intel celeron processor. I have 9.30G hard disk with 6.81 G of free space. I have ad-aware installed as well as spyBot S&D and EZ Armor which I did not use the pestpatrol cause I had problems with it. So I dended o spybot and adaware.I also would run panda active scan. I additionally also have cws shredder on my pc I did that cause sometimes I could run panda and sometimes not, it would not let me. And afraid I could not get download it again. I also have run multiple times trendmicro's anti spyware and also housecall. Now I can't even download trendmicro anything. It says,downloading unsuccessful; server busy or bad traffic and to try again. It never goes through. It only shows what I have downlaod so far and it's always like an inch and a half and never more. I also could never download HJT. And still can't. Up until three days ago, my pc ran ok till it got so slow. So I ran shredder and trendmicro woul't let me and neither would panda and after I ran my EZ antivirus and spybot and ad-aware. No results. So I went out and got pestpatrol since I cannot even see the roadrunner download page where I must get my free pestpatrol. I installed it and it scanned and no results. I don't know what to do and not pc savvy. I am afraid to go through the system restore insafe mode as I h no idea what to do and afraid to do anything without professional walkthrus. Any advise would help. I don't know if you could, being that I cannot download HJT. It says I am not authorized to ass it. Please help. I require a dedicated troubleshooter as I do not have much to go by.
OK, this is just weird. I had tried to reboot in safe mode and then it rebooted in normal mode cause I forgot I couldn't select the number to get into safe mode cause my keboard and mouse won't work. I have to use my old standard beige ones.*shrug* I don't know why. But anyway, I thought to check to see if it was still slow and it seems fine. Which confuses me that I had previously had to reboot because it was so slow even before I posted here. And the slowness still showed. But now, it is quick as it use to be. Only thing is I thought "Hey, maybe I can download hijackthis.exe And it says I don't have authority to view that page. So. I try to check maybe I need to check if I any of my programs aren't allowing it to go there. I came up empty handed. But one thing is when I rebooted my pestpatrol did not come up and I had it set to load and protect upon starting my pc. So I had to click start and go to programs and get it to load and protect and it wasn't protecting as I had it instructed it to do before I rebooted. And I set it to protect and clicked apply but the ad-watch blinked on and off and even when I clicked ok it still blinked again. So I go to adwatch and it says registry modification detected. I don't know…is that a false positive from ad-watch? I just want to be able to DL HijackThis so you guys can check it out. But I'm wondering maybe I have to many antispyware on here. So the update is no slow, just can't DL hijack this so I can be reassured.
Ok, update. Since I posted yesterday I have not rebooted or anything and my pc is now slowing down again. I even had trouble getting this thread to come up. It did as one of the sites I go to(roadrunner's downloads page). It had said done at the bottom of the page but nothing was there, it was all white. Only I got lucky, I refreshed and it took a while and it finally came up. The roadrunner page that has all my free downloads for ez armore as well other stuff didn't come up after I refreshed. So ere I am posting that it's slow. I don't want to reboot everday just to keep it quick. And like I said, all my antivirus and spybot and ad-awareand ad-watch and pestpatrol scans are clear. But the only one that really could catch anything would be trendmicro's housecall and spyware scanner that shows security risks as well, and I can't even get those to run. Panda won't run either. So, am I just stuck like chuck?
ok, I believe I defiitley have some malware or a hijacker. My pc will be fine and then as it goes from screen saver to stand-by it, I usually can bring it back on from there. But sometimes I can't get it to come on, or reboot. I have to resort to power switch off. Now, as I cannot download HJT and offically saying I can't download any site where anti-spyware is at. That includes www.download.com and even my own roadrunner download page. As for like panda,trendmicro, and a few others. It will let me down it but unable to run it. After I click it to run it, it lightning fast shows that it's done but really never scanned. Also, I have about:blank for my homepage and cannot change it no matter how many times I do it. So I did just take a look in my registry and found something lpt$vpn.797. I goolged it and it was in relation to spyware. So what should I do? Just take it to GeekSquad and they may have to thoroughly check it out? What do you reccomend?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI