This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

not real networking but sort of~~~?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:scratch: Ok, so I am at a loss for where this goes since it is a wierd type of question that is somewhat networking but not really as in what you will think of normally. :scratch: Parents computer set up for them to be used with minimal work. I go by now and then and run things like spybot and the likes for normal cleaning. I cant recall all the specks on the computer but what I want to do is this I want to access it from here(my house) and run some programs on it to make sure it is free of malware and trojans etc. at night while I have time and they are not at the computer. Here is my reason for wanting to do this: I have just got into the gmail account because there seems to be some problem with emails. well I go in and look at everything and find that someone has all mail getting forwarded to an unknowen account. I have cleared that up and reworked the password so it might not happen anymore. I know that the remote assistance can be done but I dont know how to do it. can you explain how to do it, set it up, go through it all etc. thanks for the help. If this is too great a risk to discuss here I understand but I would not think it is.
well there are a few options….there are things like PCAnywhere, LogMeIn, and GoToMyPc that can allow you to have a remote connection without having to jump through too many hoops (LogMeIn is free if i recall..the others have a rellatively small monlthly fee)….basically you set up an account with them and install a client on the HOST machine (the one you want to connect to) then you run that client on that machine….then you go to a website and login with your account info and choose to connect to the computer in question….that will give you direct access to the desktop there are other sollutions like using a VPN and Remote desktop (built into windows) or using VNC (free) but these require a bit more router configuration…..
What version of Windows do you have? What version does your parents have? How are they accessing the internet – dial-up, Broadband? Are they behind a NAT router? Does the router permit Port Forwarding? (Some routers from an ISP do not). As a general tip – doing antivirus or malware scannning remotely is not a great idea. Too often a reboot or two is required. Too often the amount of data that needs to be viewed and decided upon is large, and remote access is slow even under Broadband. Finally, you want to be the Local Admin on the workstation, using a local profile. You do not want to see the profile of you as a remote user. Some user education would be a far better idea. If you provide the details above, we can suggest more specific guides to remote access measures that are available. But your absolutely first line of defense should be a good, commercial (read paid subscription) antivirus software installed on the machine. This will do far more than SpyBot or Adaware for you. and can be easily configured to do regular and deep scans of your parents system. Add to this such software as Microsoft Windows Defender (automatically updates and scans can be scheduled); Comodo BOClean (automatically updates and is free); SpywareBlaster by javacool (a passive blocker that has to be manually updated, but the process is easy to do).
thanks to you both for the ideas and advice. Bill- XP,XP………….cable/ charter ( a bit slow)………no router. I have one and am behind a nat (I think) and mine does port forward I think you are right in that reboots will be needed for some things. Rare but might be needed and I cant do that and get back on from my home. Dsenette- Thanks for all the info. I knew there was a thing or two out there but did not know what. your recomends are great and I thank you. Glad someone is protecting us here in K- Town

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI