This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

cookies problem?

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't get how computers work, what they need to do what they do, I am totally ignorant. Have been here many times before for help with infections…now that I use all the programs you guys have suggested, I don't have infection problems, but i still am totally a jerk on this computer. i know this isn't a big issue, and I thought I posted this yesterday, but can't find it anywhere, so here I go again. Long time ago, when I had a job, I would on my lunch break check my emails on the work computer….. lost that job months and months ago…. but now none of my email programs will keep me signed in. It seems their computers recognized that I used a different computer other than my home computer to access my emails and they obviously don't like that, and make me sign in every single time now, won't remember my password. I have written to their tech departments, but get canned responses which send me to a site that doesn't address my problem. What I want to do, like before, was just stay logged on for up to two weeks and not have to punch in my supid password everytime, which at my age is getting almost impossible, I can't remember all the different passwords, lose the book i write them down in, don't get me started, it's just a drag being old…… you will probably chastise me for doing this, staying logged in for two weeks at a time, but it just convenient. Can anyone tell me if there is anyplace on this computer I can go, thru the control panel, that will allow MSN to remember my password again??? thanks
Hi and welcome to the WTT forums.
:welcome:
Sorry to hear of the problems with your email
I'm not sure from you last post if you really want me to remove your topic…..or if this is just a polite way of reminding folks that your original post is 2 to 3 days old, and you are still looking for a reply?

However if you go here:
http://login.live.com/
and make sure the dot is in the space for "Save my email address and Password"
Then the machine you are using to do this should remember it for the future….

I wouldn't recommend you use this approach on any other machine…… as any of the users there would be able to use your email account….and get up to all sort of naughty stuff.
If I have misunderstood your question or you want me to remove your topic post back and I'll do my best for you!
Regards
paws
no really, please take this down. i obviously have embarassed myself with such stupidity blatantly displayed…i'm going back in my hole now. thanks, i definitely am NOT sticking around either to go into how i don't understand the concept of routers, wifi or how to get important files out of a dead computer that crashed. REALLY. I'm too thick for the average normal discourse. i'll live with my ignorance, it's not killing me. thanks for trying. but really, take this down. thanks so much
compudont,

We all started at some point of not being familiar with how to operate a computer.
Then we learned, bit by bit. And often it was a frustrating process.

Quite often progress occurs when another person takes the time to point out a simple procedure that was an absolute obstacle because we just didn't know about it before someone mentioned it to us.

Not knowing about a procedure does not make one stupid, but it can sure make one feel frustrated and lost.
I remember trying to travel by train between Yokohama and Tokyo in the late '60s.
Their trains were perfectly well organized as were their transit stations and their excellent signs offering directions.
I just didn't know the language.
Thankfully, a few helpful strangers offered assistance when I needed it.

I'll leave your topic here for a while, in case you wish to return.
Maybe we can even help you get your poetry backed up to CD or external hard drive.

Otherwise, in a week or so, I'll move your topic out of view.

Best Regards,
Doug
Doug you are very kind, but I am really ignorant on these machines, so much so that I can't even effectively communicate what I need …… what Paws suggested isn't the problem, the problem is any website where I had email will no longer recognize me at all, because somewhere in their programs, in their system, is some kind of protective measure that automatically must kick in when a person uses more than one computer to access an account. I used to check my emails from computers at work, now those websites won't recognize me at home, even though it has been well over a year since I worked and used those work computers… I KNOW how to go to help or tech areas and read the blurbs and try to experiment with clicking here and clicking there, what bothers me is not one site, not Yahoo, not MSN, not Netzero,[ where I used to have my main email account and unfortunately I still have to use because it is linked to an important website for me that I do not want to lose my posting history if I stop using the nezero. account…which is a huge digression here, see? will recognize me. It is complicated. The problem isn't so much I think with my computer, which will remember passwords on new sites, I think it is with their computers who just won't remember me because they have something in their program that knew I was using multiple computers to access their services. And it is a good protective device, I am sure, it is just irritating to punch in passwords every time I log on…. and my computer is just for me, no one else uses it, no one else lives here, so it's not like it's a security issue for me. I feel my computer is well protected because I implemented all the security suggestions you people kindly hooked me up with. I can't say enough about Avast. I just can't. Haven't had one infection since downloading it…and I used to have infections every week. I have the spyware and malware programs you guys suggested, the service you provide to everyday ordinary joes who just have no idea what they are doing on these things is exemplary. But I am so woefully ignorant, I can't even effectively communicate what the heck I need to know or don't understand. Oh well…… whatever. I do wish yoy guys would just erase this though. Can you tell me where I would go on this site where they could teach me how to send an email to multiple people without all their emails showing in the CC: area? I dislike it when someone sends me mass emails where my email is showing to every person on their email list. I think it is rude to do and I want to learn how to send an email out to numerous people without their email addy's showing. Also, is this something you can only do using Outlook Express? And can someone tell if there are advantages of using Outlook Express exclusively over my new email account with optimum online???
Hello again, compudont,

You are very kind to mention and express your appreciation for the help you have received from our good folks here at WTT.
I agree and am proud to be a small part of a great group of volunteers.

In outlook express it is possible to Show Blind CC (bcc:)
bcc: is the method to use so that email you may wish to send to multiple people will be individually addressed, without the receiver "seeing" any of the other addresses. The other addresses aren't even listed in the email expanded header, except for you the sender.

You can use any email client (outlook, outlook express, thunderbirs(from Mozilla) ) whatever you wish to use on your machine.
They all have "bcc:"
Or you can use any online accounts you may have subscribed to. They also offer bcc:, though it may require pressing a button or configuring to display the feature.

In Yahoo mail, for instance, there is a lightly printed red script at the top of the email addressing lines "Show bcc::"
Click on Show bcc: and you will then have an additional "blind" address line to enter the folks you want to send to without troubling them with everyone else's email address.

Hope this helps.
well, yes, you people are angels here on earth, truly. i think this website is just a life saver. And thank you so much for letting me know about that BCC….I never knew that. I see that option on the yahoo site too….I guess I never saw it , which is possible as it had no meaning for me. thanks so much. I truly appreciate you not hooting away laughing at me. Take care and have a nice weekend, we are getting hit by a blizzard here in New Jersey. Take care

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI