This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

In the process of building a network.

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I'm currently in school for Computer programming and have been learning a lot in networking. I'm more or less in an experimental stage and still in the process of learning the intricacies of networking. I would like to go on a spending binge with linksys but I want to watch how much I spend since I have a tendency to overload on the spending.

My home network consists of:
a cable modem that is connected to a Wireless G Linksys Cisco Router, inwhich 3 ports are usually occupied. One port is Xbox360, another port is my brothers' computer and another port is my computer. I also have a laptop with Centrino Mobile Technology which I use to log on from the router.

My proposed layout consists of: possibly building some kind of a file/proxy server if possible. My best guess is to set that up at the internet source. This computer that I will make as a server I would like to intercept any unauthorized incoming connections on my network as far as anonymous users, malware and viruses. This will be my protection computer if anything. I may even use it as a file server at the same time, if possible. I would like to buy a Simultaneous Dual Band Wireless N router. If that's the case, I'm probably going to have to buy some wireless n adapters. Whether they should be USB or just network cards, I am unsure of. I also wanted to have file sharing between all computers in the house so I was thinking of maybe buying a Gigabit port switch possibly. Instead of using the existing CAT5 connections for the two computers I will put a switch where the router is. As far as connecting to the internet I will use 2 network adapters for each PC.


One thing I am unsure of is whether or not I should purchase a Wireless N Dual Band Bridge to connect my wireless G router and my soon to be, wireless n router. The wireless G router I would connect to my wireless N router, but I'm not sure it that makes much sense. Once again, I'm doing this primarily for learning purposes as well as beefing up my home network security. Another thing I was trying to research was accessing the wireless network with my current laptop. I'm guessing I need a specific wireless adapter, so I'd probably have to buy another wireless n adapter for my laptop as well.

So any thoughts or criticism is greatly appreciated!
If your computers are already hard wired to your wireless-G router, why would you want to replace those connections with wireless? Wired is ALWAYS better than wireless for speed, reliability and cost, unless running cables through walls and ceilings is going to cost an arm and a leg. If you upgrade your router, upgrade your router to a wireless-N router that also has a gigabit switch built in. Whatever you do, don't run the Wireless-N and wireless-G side by side. There is absolutely no reason for this. Wireless-N is backwards compatible. The built in gigabit switch will allow you to share files at maximum speeds as long as your computers have gigabit network cards. The only benefit I see here to upgrading to wireless-N is to provide a better connection for your laptop, in which case your laptop will have to be upgraded with wireless-N also. You lost me as to why you would want TWO network cards in each computer. It sounds as if you are making this way too complicated and it will probably never work. One wireless-N router with gigabit switch built in. 1 Gigabit card in each desktop. Wireless-N in your laptop. Thats all you need. Now on to the server. You don't stick your precious files on the same server you expect to act as your firewall/gateway. What kind of proxy server are you talking about setting up? ISA? Thats a lot of headache and possibly the source of more problems. As far as blocking "unauthorized incoming connections," its all done at your router by whats known as NAT. Its impossible for ANY connection to come in from the internet and get to ANY computer on your network without specifically telling the router what computer to send it to with port forwarding. Unless you want to control the people on your network and determine what they can and cannot access there is absolutely no need for what you are talking about doing. Instead, put your file server on the network the same as all your desktops and connect it to the router. In this configuration your server will be protected from all external attacks. The only way any of your computers will get attacked from the internet is if you open the door and invite them in.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI