I'm fairly new to the group. I can see the internet is loaded with spyware removal software that I download for $19.95 to $40. Most say FREE. So that's of interest to me & I download the program and scan only to find out that if I want to fix the 133 problems I have to buy the REAL version. Can anyone suggest a good spyware program that works well & that you've had repeated success with it? It can be one that I have to purchase or a FREE one. I just need something that really works. Oh, BTW, I have Spybot (it's free) but these other programs that I've tried seem to come up with more problems that Spybot. Are they better, or more sensitive to problems?
Quite a few Anti-Malware programs these days use this tactic to effectively 'scare' people into buying their products. They say they are finding many problems on your computer, leading to you to pay money to have all these problems removed, whereas your computer was fine anyway.
Many of these programs are ones that we do not recommend for exactly this reason.
Spybot S&D is a very good Anti-Spyware program, and if you keep it up to date then it should get most of your spyware problems. This, combined with your Anti-Virus and Firewall programs, and perhaps one other real-time anti-malware scanner should be sufficient to keep your system clean.
Heres one or two other programs I recommend:
SpywareBlaster is another real-time scanner that prevents most spyware from even being installed.
Freely available: Download SpywareBlaster
Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program.
Both of these are good for blocking spyware from getting onto your computer in the first place. Remember to check for software and definition updates regularly on all your anti-malware software to keep your protection at its best.
Running scans with your Anti-Virus program and S&D once a week or so should be enough to clean you of anything you already have. If you think you have more, feel free to post a HijackThis log to our Malware Removal Forum.
SpyBot Search and Destroy is an excellent product and provided it is the latest version, the signatures being kept fully up to date and the "Immunise" facility used, provides a well respected malware scanner.
The latest version is now 1.5 so it would be as well to check the version you are using.
You were wise to seek advise, unfortunately many products advertised on the Internet, either "detect" false positives in order to create alarm, and try to pressurise you into parting with hard earned cash or are ineffective, or even worse….malware in disguise, just waiting for an opportunity to infect your machine.
The link supplied above is authoritative and should provide useful information.
Regards
paws
thanks for ur response - and so quickly - I appreciate that and will take your advice. I've decided to use AVG as my anti virus program. What firewall would you recommend that would work with AVG and S&D?
Heres a few that I usually recommend (taken from my "All clean" speech):
Install a firewall! Without a firewall you are very susceptible to being hacked, and people could gain access to your computer. If you don't have a firewall I strongly recommend you download ONE of the following: 1)ZoneAlarm 2)Agnitum 3)Sunbelt/Kerio 4)Comodo
Just a point, but you said you downloaded one of those rogue programs. It may be worthwhile getting checked out in the HijackThis Logs and Infections Removal room.