This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

It used to work. Please help me troubleshoot my wireless connection.

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

the integrated wireless adapter in my notebook has stopped working.
The device does not show up in the device manager. It used to show up as a Broadcom adapter.

I downloaded the intel wireless drivers and it said a newer version was already installed and did not let me continue. I restarted, and a blue screen flashed after the login and restarted the computer. I had to press F8 and go to "last known good configuration" to use the computer again.

i have downloaded the Broadcom software from the Gateway site, but nothing happens when i try to run it.

also: when it resumed from standby earlier today, it indicated a wireless connection in the system tray. I clicked on it and it showed my router as connected. It was not usable however. in the properties dialog it had sent/received 9 packets. The Broadcom adapter was listed as working properly in the device manager. I restarted the computer and it was all gone again. no connection, no adapter. :huh:

so. . . what next?


[external image: Posted Image] . . . . [external image: Posted Image]


My notebook:
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/…s/4094nv.shtml

The wireless adapter:
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/…102318mv.shtml
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/…02318sp2.shtml

More details:



The DSL gateway/Wireless router are working fine. My roommates have access and I was able to connect using a wireless USB adapter I borrowed from a friend. It is a problem with my laptop. What I don't know is if it is a hardware or a software problem.

I was able to get some screen shots of the offending software/hardware.

[external image: Posted Image]
Here you see that windows has detected an adapter. For a long time, there was no wireless network icon.


[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]
I noticed sharing was on so I turned it off.

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]
Says it's working properly

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]
no conflicts

[external image: Posted Image]
I don't know what to do about this….

[external image: Posted Image]
The Broadcom software recognized the router and I "connected" but it didn't really connect.

[external image: Posted Image]
no connection

[external image: Posted Image]
after i hit the connect button, my laptop kept stalling intermittently. A process called BCMWLTRY.exe was using all the CPU. (B)road©o(MW)i®e(L)ess(TR)a(Y)?
[external image: Posted Image]

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
[external image: Posted Image]
somebody suggested that I uninstall the wireless driver and try reinstalling. Does that sound right? all of them?

well… popped open the case and found out that the wireless card HAD been changed.

I have a Broadcom BCM94318mpg card
see: http://www.broadcom.com/products/Wireless-…utions/BCM94318

The trouble is that i can't seem to get it installed. once in a while the computer detects it and shows it as already installed. sometimes there's no trace of it. When i unplugged the mini pct card and plugged it back in, plug-and-play identified and installed it and then prompted me to restart. After restarting … there was no trace of the device again.

broadcom does not supply drivers for their cards, gateway does not support it. I found some drivers online and tried to use them but their installation applications don't work either. If i got to Add/Remove Hardware in the control panel and try adding it with "have disk" i find the .inf file but it doesn't seem to read it because the "next" button stays grayed-out and there is no device on the list to select.

I really would like to know what to do now :(
First, disable the 1394 adapter. This is your firewire port, and while it is viewed under XP as a network adapter (not by Vista, thank God) it likely has created a bridge. Use Device Manager to disable this network adapter. This will not effect your use of the firewire port for other uses.

Second, you do not want ICS sharing enabled. You were correct to disable ICS sharing. The wireless adapter should not support ICS, nor should any other ]adapter you show as listed be set for ICS. Something else is, as you are showing a valid Local Area Network connection. That means that between your Actiontec wireless router and your enabled ICS on an adapter, your "LAN" has two actiive DHCP servers. This is a big no-no. Only the Actiontec can act as a valid DHCP server on this LAN.

After making the changes above, reboot.
Start, Run, and enter into the command box that opens: CMD.

In the black box that opens type:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

After a pause, XP will come back and say a restart of your computer is needed. Reboot.

Clear up those items, and after the reboot see what happens when you do an ipconfig /all from a CMD window.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI