I replaced the power jack on my daughters Dell Inspiron B130. It finally powered up and I believe I saw the wireless icon in the taskbar the first time I booted but no longer.
Everything else seems to be working properly and I can access the internet with a cable.
It is as if there is no wireless card installed. At Network Connections only the local area connection icon is showing. In Device Manager - Network adapters only a Broadcom Integrated controller driver is shown and it is working properly. I ran Stumbler only to get the message "no wireless adapter found".
I reinserted the card, it appears to go in properly and I believe the antenna is attached to the right post.
Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.
Hello tulio1956,
What's the make/model of the wifi card? (I assume it slots into the PC Slot on the side?)
Have you tried reinstalling the drivers from the manufacturer's website?
What particular problems caused you to replace the power jack? (A link to a previous topic would be handy)
Cheers,
Nahumi
Sorry for the delay, I did not get an email that you had replied.
Not sure of make model, all the info on the oem card which goes into a slot in a compartment on bottom of machine is as follows:
Dell P/N T9016
DW 1370
Mac: 0016ce674c04
2004 Broadcom
BCM94318 MPG Rev 4
I downloaded drivers for the Broadcom Integrated controller from Cnet and unzipped the file but I am not sure if anything really happened in this regard.
The power adapter would not stay engaged unless you held it tight to the laptop. A man from a repair store and from online research said this was fairly common with Dell laptops. There was a very good site which detailed all the necessary steps to replace the jack. I did not want to invest the $125 the shops wanted, so I bought the replacement part for $1.40 and did it myself.
Once you download it, unzip it to your desktop. Then double click the Driver setup file. Just follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation. You may have to restart your PC afterwards.
I download and try to run and get the following error message:
The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.
I downloaded from the Dell site on my desktop and everything went fine and the file is the one you reference. But on the laptop, it asks me to save the download and I do to a download folder and when I click on it to open is when I receive that error message.
No bugs that I am aware of. Its always been slow. I have increased ram to 2gb and moved a lot off to an external drive. I could not access the internet even with a hard wire recently until I rebooted. Just ran anti malewarebytes with nothing noted.
Okay, seems like it's only localised to the driver, which seems a bit odd.
Anyway, we'll try resetting the .EXE file association. (This is not really an accurate description because .EXE can't associated with an existing application because it is the application.)
1. Go to your Start Menu and click Control Panel
2. Once in the Control Panel click on Folder Options
3. In the Folder Options window go to the 'File Types' tab.
4. Find the EXE extension, select it and click on Advanced.
5. Click the 'Restore' button.
Then try opening the driver installation file again.
Sorry to say this but I do not see an exe file extension in folder options. When I do select an extension and go to advanced my options are change icon, new, edit, remove and set default.
Sorry, I got my instructions a bit muddled. If it is there, just click 'edit' and change the association to 'Application'.
Because the extension isn't there, we'll try adding it in. Go back to the folder options and the 'File Types' tab. Click on 'New' and type in "EXE" (without the quotation marks). Then click on Advanced and select Application from the drop down list. Click OK, and then try running the driver again.
(Note : These instructions are a paraphrased version of those presented at this website http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php . I don't suggest following the Registry fix just yet, simply because it's tricky).
The first time I entered EXE as new, a message stating it already existed and was associated with application appeared, do I want to replace. I said yes tried the driver and got same error message. I went back into folder options and still could not locate EXE. I set it up as new again and even before closing try running the driver to no avail.
Thanks for your help, I am off to work, I will check back tonight.