This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Wireless/Wired Connection ....but no connection

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My Toshiba Satellite Laptop, will no longer connect with the internet. It shows connected to the wireless network in the house…though I can't get an IP address from it. It shows a Wireless Network Connection to the router. I have removed the network connection, and reinstalled it…it now shows "not connected". It won't connect, either, when hardwire connected to the router. All other machines in the house are connected. There are 3 network adapters in Device Manager. 1. 1394 Net adapter #2 2. Intel® Pro/100 VE network connection 3. Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection I have removed and reinstalled the drivers and allowed Windows to find the hardware again, automatically and reinstalled the drivers. Still nothing. I have run OTC, Malware bytes and Microsoft Security Essentials, suspecting a virus. Nothing. When I run ipconfig in DOS mode, I get "an internal error occured, the request is not supported. Unable to query host name. I have defraged the harddrive. I'm out of ideas… Help!
downloaded WinsockXP Fix on a separate laptop. Then transfered with a stick. Ran it on the Toshiba. The utility requires you to reboot. But on reboot, nothing. It's interesting, Chrome won't even start. It delivers an error window, before anything comes up. I tried a "wireless repair" and got a "connected". it shows the network and all other local networks, so it sees something. But there's no IP address; chrome won't run, and IE cannot display anything. Pinging www.yahoo.com doesn't work either.
Here's a little more data. Toshiba has a ConfigFree Connectivity Doctor - Utility. I ran it. The diagnosis indicates that: the IP address was not set properly (c-19) At the local network it id's correctly: the SSID, the MAC address, the channel and Encryption (WEP Enable). But at the laptop, there's no: IP address, subnet mask, default Gateway, DNS, WINS, nothing…
Okay, so you get no IP address using Wireless or wired so it's not specific to your wireless setup then.

Do you have a XP Install CD? If so, please try running System File Checker as follows:

Open a Command Prompt.
Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

Information on how it works here: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Also, what does ipconfig /all show you?

Click on Start then Run and paste the following into the Run box, exactly as show, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.

You can edit out any info you don't want shown here.
I'm struggling with this; the system file checker utility requires that I use the CD for MS SP3….which didn't come with the original disks. I also struggled with downloading SP3 since MS wants me to use the media update utility…and in the laptops that I have, which have connections, SP3 is already installed. Finally, I downloaded SP3 from download.com on another machine, burned a CD,…but the SFC utility wouldn't recognize it. Any suggestions for this? should I simply run SP3 from the CD? meanwhile, I ran ipconfig /all… I get: "An internal error occurred: the request is not supported. Additional information: Unable to query host name:
You're going to have to create a XP Install CD slip streamed with SP3. Instructions follow:

The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP3 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP3 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I used Roxio 7. There is also a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this for you.

Here is the link to Autostreamer: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-…ostreamer.shtml

You can download the SP3 .exe here: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

If you have an original XP Install CD with no Service Pack applied, not even SP1a then you will need to do the above in two steps. First you will have to splistream SP2 then repeat for SP3. If your CD has SP1a or Sp2 then you can go directly to SP3.

You can download SP2 .exe here if necessary: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

An excellent alternative is nLite. It allows you to merge SP2/SP3/Windows Updates into a new XP CD image that you can install from. Takes a bit of fiddling with but worth the effort since it also allows you to pre-answer all the questions asked during install so all you have to do is boot the new CD, select where you want to install, format or not and go to lunch. When you come back the install is finished and your are at the latest Service Pack and Update level. See here:
http://www.nliteos.com/

If you have Vista, then give Vlite a try:
http://www.vlite.net/

Use this site to get the MS updates: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/

You can also get updates from an MS site but it takes more work: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/saveupdates.htm
Ztrucker, I'm sorry but I don't understand your instructions or anything about ISO. The Toshiba LapTop original CD's did not come with SP2 or SP3. So I went to the Nlite Site, but I don't know which version to download and/or what to do with it afterwards. Naturally, I can only download the application to a computer that is connected to the Internet. Do I download it there, then copy it to a stick, transfer it to the Toshiba and then run it on the Toshiba? Which version do I download? (I have XP). I need to crawl through this.
Do you have an actual XP install CD or a Toshiba Recovery CD. If the latter then this will not work. Use Autostreamer instead of nLite, it's much easier to use. Basically just follow the directions I gave you. When you run Autostreamer, the output is a .iso file which is an image of the updated XP Install CD. Then you download and install ImgBurn and point to the generated .iso file as input and a your CD burner as the output. It will create a bootable XP Install CD slipstreamed with SP3 that you can then use as the CD SFC is asking for. If you ask specific questions I'm try to answer them.
I have the Toshiba two "recovery" / installation CD's….but they don't have SP3. I'll try with Autostreamer. But after I download autostreamer onto a "working" laptop, do I then copy it to the Toshiba (the one that is not connecting to the internet yet) and run it on the Toshiba laptop. Sorry for the stupid question.
You can run it on any Windows computer, doesn't have to be the one you are trying to fix. End result is a CD, but from what you said, this won't work as you have a two disc Toshiba recovery set and Autostreamer and nLite both require a single XP Install CD. This is a significant failing of XP that was corrected in Vista and Windows 7 where everything needed for SFC to work is installed on the hard drive. Takes up more space but makes repairs a lot easier. If this were my computer, I would get my data backed up then use the Recovery CDs to reload XP to put the computer back to it's factory installed state. Don't even restore your data until after you've tested the wireless connectivity. If it's okay then you need to restore your data and reinstall any software you use. If it's still no good then you need to have the wireless card replaced. This is usually a fairly easy job and can be done by any competent PC repair shop.Hope this is not needed though.
I'm going to ask if any of the other techs here have any ideas so hold of on doing anything drastic for a bit, unless you are in a hurry to get this fixed.
Hi Solo58,

1 Ztruker advised you to check that your backup of everything that is important to you on your machine. You should ensure that it is 100% complete, accurate, and reproducible and an extra copy kept safe on removable media (an external USB hard drive is useful for this) Don't forget things like your application executables, with their serial keys, user names, passwords, favorites, address books emails, data files (including docs, photos videos, music etc.) double check that everything important to you is included in your back up and its wise to double check , again! that it's all reproducible, just one more time.

2 It would be a good idea to try and use a System Restore Point created before the problem started. This will "set back" in time, some settings on your computer in the hope that this will fix the problem.
Here's a link to the instructions on using System Restore Points
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084
The following comment is extracted from the above linked web page.

Note System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos


3 If your system is still not working properly then you have a number of options…. I assume that you have already run sfc and found that you have corrupt,damaged or missing Windows protected System files and that sfc has asked you to insert the Windows installation disc, (the one you have slipstreamed, if you have done it correctly, will do just fine) and that you have done this and then rebooted and there is no improvement in your computer.

Before we go any further, please confirm that the above steps 1, 2 and 3 have all been carried out.
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI