This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

SLOW internet browsing

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am having problems with internet browsing. Pages are extremely slow to load, and many times have to be refreshed. It takes many times to try and download anything and once and a while, when I hit the back button to go back to a previous page, it won't move. When I click the arrow next to the back button, I see an un recognizable address listed above the actual page I was on. At first I thought these symptoms might have been caused by malware, but after posting in that forum, and having "silver" help me out, we found that my pc was not infected, and he suggested I post my problems here. Any ideas?
Hello mnemenya, We seem to be getting this quite a bit around here lately, with the CA eTrust software somewhat in the middle of the problem. Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your eTrust Security Suite. Failing that, perform an uninstall on the firewall component of the software only. Please post the updated status of your problem in either case. Regards, Ax
Hi Ax. I did end up uninstalling the EZ Trust Armor Suite I had and installed the latest CA Security Suite in its place. Things are moving much faster now and am able to download with ease. Thanks for your help.
BUT, now I seem to be having the problem of my CPU usage staying at 100% consistently! That has slowed EVERYTHING down. In the last forum, silver said I may consider uninstalling my AntiVirus software, but I'm really not comfortable with that because this pc has been infected in the past. Any other suggestions to free up this processor to work better?
Great, glad to hear your Internet browsing is back to normal.

Let's look at the CPU usage issue:
  • Download the Command Line Process Viewer/Killer/Suspender for Windows NT/2000/XP
  • Unzip the file to C:\WINDOWS\system32
  • Go to Start | Run, type cmd and press Enter
  • Copy the following command (by highlighting and clicking Ctrl-C):
    process > "%userprofile%\desktop\processes.txt"
  • Click the [external image: Posted Image] image button in the upper left portion of the command prompt window title bar and choose Edit | Paste
  • You'll now see a file called "processes" on your desktop, attach this file to your next post in the thread
This will allow me to see which processes are taking all the CPU time. We may have to run another utility after this if we still don't have enough information.

Regards,

Ax
Ok - I'm actually in the process of deleting some programs used by my boyfriend( he just got his own laptop so I don't need them on my PC anymore) and that seems to have helped a lot. I did run the cmd anyway just to see if I am missing anything. Here goes! Command Line Process Viewer/Killer/Suspender for Windows NT/2000/XP V2.03 Copyright© 2002-2003 [removed] ImageName PID Threads Priority CPU Owner Idle 0 1 0 74 Error 0x6 : The handle is invalid. System 4 82 8 0 Error 0x5 : Access is denied. smss.exe 628 3 11 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM csrss.exe 1076 13 13 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM winlogon.exe 1256 16 13 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM services.exe 1476 16 9 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM lsass.exe 1536 21 9 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM svchost.exe 952 20 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM svchost.exe 1180 11 8 1 Error 0x5 : Access is denied. MsMpEng.exe 1656 15 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM svchost.exe 1832 73 8 1 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM svchost.exe 260 5 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM svchost.exe 612 4 8 0 Error 0x5 : Access is denied. svchost.exe 948 13 8 0 Error 0x5 : Access is denied. spoolsv.exe 1372 10 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM UmxCfg.exe 1548 5 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM UmxFwHlp.exe 1580 3 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM UmxPol.exe 2020 5 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM UmxAgent.exe 2012 7 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM isafe.exe 1224 7 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM ITMRTSVC.exe 1392 7 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM HPZipm12.exe 1852 2 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM svchost.exe 640 7 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM vetmsg.exe 988 8 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM alg.exe 1556 6 8 0 Error 0x5 : Access is denied. ccprovsp.exe 3084 5 8 1 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM PPCtlPriv.exe 3024 3 8 0 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM explorer.exe 3724 18 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh capfsem.exe 4052 5 10 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh BCMSMMSG.exe 4076 4 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh TotRecSched.exe 3144 3 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh Directcd.exe 2588 4 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh V0330Mon.exe 1760 2 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh jusched.exe 3868 1 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh MSASCui.exe 3552 17 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh cctray.exe 1104 21 8 1 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh QOELoader.exe 2636 1 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh cavrid.exe 2956 3 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh CAPPActiveProtection.exe 3244 9 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh capfasem.exe 1868 9 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe 3000 8 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh TeaTimer.exe 2268 3 4 18 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh ctfmon.exe 2292 2 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh iexplore.exe 3772 24 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh cmd.exe 3908 2 8 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh Process.exe 2476 1 13 0 JOSH-MHV5BSW1V2\Josh
OK, looks pretty good from what I can tell. The biggest hog right now is Tea Timer (18% CPU), let's try disabling it:
First:
  • Right-click the Tea Timer icon in the System Tray (looks like a calendar with a padlock symbol)
  • Choose Exit Spybot S&D Resident
Second:
  • Open Spybot Search & Destroy
  • Click Mode, select Advanced Mode
  • Go to the left panel, click Tools, then also in left panel, click Resident
  • If your firewall raises a question, confirm the action
  • Clear the box labeled Resident "TeaTimer" and OK any prompts
  • Use File | Exit to terminate Spybot
  • Reboot your machine for the changes to take effect
Please give me an update on your CPU issue after this point.

Regards,

Ax
Try going to start run/ type in msconfig Check your start up items and see what is running. Most can be disabled and will free up more memory… Do you use spyware removers regularily? Ad-aware etc…. Good Place to start

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI