This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Do you folks still trust Adaware and Spybot S & D ?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy have been out for a while now, and I was wondering if they are still reliable to use ? That is, do they clean your system without leaving out "special" companies or groups ? Google has risen in power, and as far as I know still owns doubleclick, which is a major contributor to tracking cookies, at least on my computer. Adaware still gets rid of the doubleclick tracking junk but I am not tech savvy enough to know if they might be leaving out other stuff. You folks are ! Thanks for the help last time. I started using Firefox and the tracking cookie stuff has for the most part declined.
Spybot Search and Destroy is recently updated to version 1.5
Uninstall your old version via Add/Remove and install/update the 1.5 version.
I do not use, nor do I recommend the "TeaTimer" function of Spybot Search and Destroy
Spybot Search and Destroy remains a very good tool in the combat against malware.

Ad-Aware has also come out with a new version called Ad-Aware 2007.
Some folks have had difficulty configuring the new version to work comfortably on their machines.
It is still a good tool in the malware battle, but I do not recommend it as frequently anymore.
_____________________

With regards to Ads by double-click and other advertising bloat that is encountered while browsing the Internet, I recommend MVPS Host Files, here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Best Regards
Thanks for the quick answer again. If Ad-Aware is is not as good as another, could
you or someone recommend one to replace it, for malware and tracking cookies ? ( I think that is
what Ad-Aware is best known to remove. )

I have Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4. I am guessing my next auto-update will not be the
1.5 version, according to what you have said.

I did not even know about the TEATIMER thing. But now you have me curious… :D

Thanks a thousand.


Spybot Search and Destroy is recently updated to version 1.5
Uninstall your old version via Add/Remove and install/update the 1.5 version.
I do not use, nor do I recommend the "TeaTimer" function of Spybot Search and Destroy
Spybot Search and Destroy remains a very good tool in the combat against malware.

Ad-Aware has also come out with a new version called Ad-Aware 2007.
Some folks have had difficulty configuring the new version to work comfortably on their machines.
It is still a good tool in the malware battle, but I do not recommend it as frequently anymore.
_____________________

With regards to Ads by double-click and other advertising bloat that is encountered while browsing the Internet, I recommend MVPS Host Files, here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Best Regards

Spybot Search & Destroy version 1.5 is a major Version change and not just a simple "update" of signature .dat file base.
You'll need to Uninstall your older version 1.4 and do a fresh install of Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.

While the "updates" for anti-malware utilities may come daily, major revision of the detection engine and the utility's other function may occur less frequently, like once a year or so. This is a major revision for Spybot Search & Destroy.

I anticipate that Ad-Aware 2007 will rapidly respond to the difficulties that "some" users have experienced and will resume their ordinarily expected ease of use, while continuing to be a good utility to have in the arsenal of weapons to fight malware.

While I had already been a steady user of AVG AntiSpyware, for its excellent malware and trojan detection and removal, it also addresses tracking cookies in a manner similar to Ad-Aware. AVG AntiSpyware is a good addition to your arsenal.

You can use your browser's native Delete Files and Delete Cookies, and Delete Off-line files to get rid of useless and sometimes risky temporary internet files. But if you'd like a quick, reliable automated tool, consider "one" of the following:
ATF-Cleaner by Atribune – http://www.atribune.org/content/view/19/2/
or
CleanUp! 4.52 – from Steven Gould – http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio…5&Itemid=69

Both are free for personal use. It is not necessary to use both.

I repeat my recommendation of MVPS Host Files for completely blocking third-party advertisement and tracking cookies.
Prevention is way better than removal later. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Best Regards
Awesome, I think I will do that tonight and upgrade to Spybot 1.5. I do like AVG and did not think it necessary to use their spyware capability when I already had Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy in use.

I use both Firefox and IE, which both can selectively reject cookies easily with their "privacy" function. I put it into quotes because
neither work all that well as far as tracking cookies go, IMHO.

I will also go have a look at mvps.org . I remember from my original ( very first ) post that the MVP option was going to require
some work in the browser. Ah.. forgive me, but every time I see that MVP acronym I think of baseball ! :)

Steven Gould… I have heard that name before somewhere… :-/

Thanks for your time. I like to learn what my computer is doing and what others are doing when I let them connect to it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI