This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Spybot won't remove spyware:tracking cookies, please help!

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hey out there, not long ago I posted with a hijackthis log and was successfully able to remove threatening spyware and adware on my computer. However, I'm still unable to remove tracking cookies. When I scan with Spybot, I get several results. Everything else I use (Adaware and Spybot Doctor) don't pick up anything. After Spybot is finished it's scan, I click the "fix selected problems" button but several hours later, the tracking cookies are back and show up once again in my next scan. I keep Ad-Watch running, which blocks the continuous tracking cookies. on the info, it says to be running through firefox. The tracking cookies are basically those from marketing company's and commercial based websites such as Doubleclick.net. If you could please reply with info on how I can get rid of these tracking cookies, much would be appreciated, thanks!
A cookie is a way of identifying a PC when it returns to a site, rather like a badge.
A lot of cookies are specific to the site that put them there, but some site share these cookies which enables them to build up a picture of your internet usage - they enable your surfing to be "tracked", hence the term "tracking cookie".
The reason you keep getting these detected is you keep going to sites that put them there - that's the price of surfing. A little linky.
If you don't need to save any of these cookies on your PC then you can easily remove them all with one click with a utility such as ATF Cleaner by Atribune from here. It's freeware, so download it and take a look.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI