jpschmack
Topic Starter
Hi, I'm pretty decent at keeping my machine clean.
I use MSConfig to keep my processes around 30 or so.
I run ad-aware and spybot and hijackthis.
I use firefox and not IE.
My laptop is only about five months old (Dell Inspiron E1405 - obviously XP).
Lately, I've been getting popups from sites I should not be getting popups from (CNN.com for example). Ad-Aware and Spybot find cookies from:
casalemedia
doubleclick
fastclick
mediaplex
Advertising.com
aornum
avenue A, Inc
after cleaning via spybot and adaware, they re-appear.
The only "allowed" popups I have on Firefox are:
mlb.com and cstv.com
I read a few threads on this page regarding casalemedia and doubleclick, but still no solutions.
I downloaded AVG Anti-spyware, which found more cookies (odd, after I deleted all cookies and temp files from both IE and Firefox), but that's still addressing symptoms and not the cause.
Any idea what the root of the problem is? Your expertise and committment to helping others is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:11:35 AM, on 10/16/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware SE Personal\HijackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://tulanegreenwave.cstv.com/index-main.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell.com
O2 - BHO: McAfee Anti-Phishing Filter - {41D68ED8-4CFF-4115-88A6-6EBB8AF19000} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eTrustPPAP] "C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware SE Personal\PestPatrol\eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware\PPActiveDetection.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee Anti-Phishing Filter - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service (CVPND) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
I use MSConfig to keep my processes around 30 or so.
I run ad-aware and spybot and hijackthis.
I use firefox and not IE.
My laptop is only about five months old (Dell Inspiron E1405 - obviously XP).
Lately, I've been getting popups from sites I should not be getting popups from (CNN.com for example). Ad-Aware and Spybot find cookies from:
casalemedia
doubleclick
fastclick
mediaplex
Advertising.com
aornum
avenue A, Inc
after cleaning via spybot and adaware, they re-appear.
The only "allowed" popups I have on Firefox are:
mlb.com and cstv.com
I read a few threads on this page regarding casalemedia and doubleclick, but still no solutions.
I downloaded AVG Anti-spyware, which found more cookies (odd, after I deleted all cookies and temp files from both IE and Firefox), but that's still addressing symptoms and not the cause.
Any idea what the root of the problem is? Your expertise and committment to helping others is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:11:35 AM, on 10/16/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware SE Personal\HijackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://tulanegreenwave.cstv.com/index-main.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell.com
O2 - BHO: McAfee Anti-Phishing Filter - {41D68ED8-4CFF-4115-88A6-6EBB8AF19000} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eTrustPPAP] "C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware SE Personal\PestPatrol\eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware\PPActiveDetection.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee Anti-Phishing Filter - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service (CVPND) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe