Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Spybot Missing Spyware ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flashh4

flashh4

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:viet nam vet 66-68<br /> heavy equiptment operator

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:01 PM

seen this on another forum & they thought if we posted it here we could get some feed back since spybot search & destroy is recommended here.......... seen on this show I think the screen savers or pc news or somewhere like that, that Ad-aware is being blamed along with a few others of intentionaly allowing some spyware companies to get through their security.... Ad-aware is saying they have nothing to do with such behaviour, and I believe them until proven otherwise... (Spybot was not mentioned) This brings me to Spybot, If you look in the update thread or back like 12+ pages in the threads you will see a thread about spybot (I posted) and Thesidekickcat posted in the updates... Anyways I was concerned when I looked in the settings and seen a few items like New.Dot and others (and to tell you the truth, don't quote me, but I believe that was one of the spyware people that was mentioned about Ad-aware and a few other spyware programs partnering up with)..... Anyways just wondering if maybe Spybot is/should be a concern? I really found it odd along with others on this board that those objects were crossed off from giving you and alert of spyware when a scan was completed. Does anyone else think anything of this??

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:29 AM

Not everything is cut and dry in this world, we sometimes have to do a dance or two in order to keep away from lawsuits and other such problems, NewDotNet is an undesirable to many of us but we have to take care in how we go about removing some of these pests, you are able to select to remove them in SpybotSD, not sure about AdAware currently. As far as I am concerned, SpybotSD and AdAware are doing the best that they can in most cases and running both of these apps on a current basis updated will cure a lot of the threats, there will probably always be something that we wish they detected and removed by default but we will survive with what they do detect and with our knowledge of the others. The experts are always looking for new threats and keeping an eye on old ones, this is a never ending process that cannot be done without the many volunteers across the many boards we are on. Keep striving to find the abuses that the malware provide and document well so that the good programs like SpybotSD and AdAware have valid data to fall back on. When you find new data, email it to them and let them run their tests on it as well, that is how it all works, you may not get a reply to your submitted data though as they are truly busy at both places almost constantly. As the old saying goes, if you aren't part of the solution, you could be part of the problem so do your part if you are knowledgable in this area. Enough of my soapboxing, you all have a great day and keep your computers secure. Tom Coyote Wilson
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)