Hi
I had major problems a week or so ago which doug helped me with but now I have this problem with my clock.
Every time I boot up the time is wrong
I re set it but then when I reboot it still comes up with the wrong time.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
when you boot your computer, go ahead and boot into the bios (usually del or f2 during bootup)…check the system time there…is it correct? if not…set it…then save and exit the bios….once you do that check the time in windows…is it correct? reboot the computer and get back into the bios….is the time still correct? if the time changes again after this second reboot…then you might need to change the CMOS battery on your motherboard….it's a little watch battery that you can get at any store
I agree with DSenette - with a minor variance. Often resetting the time and immediately rebooting to see if it sticks does not give enough time to see if the battery will hold the CMOS settings. You may have to wait an hour, or over night.
However, these batteries are normally CR2032 (verify to make sure) watch type batteries, and as noted can be easily found at any battery/camera/watch counter. They are only a couple bucks so my point is, I would just replace it anyway.
To do so, power down AND UNPLUG the computer to ensure the +5Vsb standby voltage is removed from the motherboard. Then, while observing proper ESD precautions, take note of the battery's polarity orientation, touch bare metal of the case to discharge any static in your body, and pry out the old battery. Do NOT touch the new battery with your fingers as skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust - I put a clean sock over my hand. Make sure you insert battery with the same polarity orientation.
Note that by pulling the battery, you reset the BIOS. Therefore, your date, time, and drive information will initially be wrong - reset to factory defaults. Set the date/time and verify your drives have been properly identified. Then reboot and see what happens.