This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Window XP can someone log in without password?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a feeling someone is using my laptop (Windows XP Home Edition) in my absence. I have just ONE user account on it and I have NOT given my password to anybody. Is it possible? If yes, How can I find out about it and prevent future break-ins? Please help me anyone! :ph34r:
Hello :)

The only way I know of that this could be achieved (aside of using brute force to bypass the login credentials) is to reboot into Safe mode and then logon as the overall Administrator. By default, there is no password set on this account, so if you haven't set one for it…it is open to being logged on to. The account is not available in normal mode however, only in Safe Mode.

If it has not been set; reboot into Safe mode by tapping the F8 key at startup and select the options for Safe Mode. Logon as either your usual profile or the Administrator. Go to Start > Control Panel - or Start > Run > type control > User Accounts and then choose the Admin account and set a password for it.

Regards,
M_M
Thanks MM, I'll do that. I read somewhere that Windows makes a log of every log-in or boot with time and duration etc. If that's true, how can I get that log? Thanks again for your help. dellfan :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI