This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Ie Browsing Blocked By A Password?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello, I have a lap top with me that belonged to someone else and now that I am trying to connect to the Internet I find out that upon launching IE, their connection (Virgin Net) is connected with the browser and requires a password to log on. As a result, even though I have my connection running I cannot use the browser as it is connected with Virgin and a password and won't allow me to go beyond this point. There is no other browers on the hard drive. I tried deleting all VirginNet entries, looked into Control Panel to get rid of user's password but it still won't allow me to get passed it. Can anyone help me with how deactivate the password requirement in order to use IE or what else I could do? thanks for any help, lina
Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.org!

Important: Create a folder on the C: drive called C:\HJT.
You can do this by going to My Computer (Windows key+e) then double click on C: then right click and select New then Folder and name it HJT.
Download HijackThis into this folder.

If required a tutorial is here = Hijackthis Folder Tutorial

Links to Hijack This! v 1.98.2:

http://tools.radiosplace.com/HijackThis.exe
http://spywarewarrior.com/files/HijackThis.exe

Run it from that folder.

Click "Scan".

DO NOT "FIX" ANYTHING WITH IT YET!!!
FIXING THE WRONG THING COULD RENDER YOUR SYSTEM INOPERABLE!!!

Click "Save log".

Reply to this thread, and "copy/paste" the ENTIRE CONTENTS of the log file into this thread.

:)
Hello, Thanks for replying. Like I said I can't get on the Internet, because of the problem described in my original post. Otherwise I would have done many checks, incl. HJT, on the laptop by now. lina
You got on the Internet (somehow) to make this post. Couldn't you download Hijack This! to a floppy (or CD) and take it to the machine that has no access? :unsure:
In order to make this post I had to go to another computer, I cannot do any browsing on the laptop. I transferred a hjt.zip to it and here is the log as requsted:

thanks.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 12:25:27 AM, on 1/4/80
Platform: Windows 95 C (Win9x 4.00.1111)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 (5.00.2314.1000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\tapiexe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.virgin.net/ie5search
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://home.netscape.com/home/winsearch.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.virgin.net/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://home.netscape.com/home/winsearch.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://home.netscape.com/home/winsearch200.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://home.netscape.com/home/winsearch.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://keyword.netscape.com/keyword/%s
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Auto-Protect] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O13 - WWW. Prefix: http://
O14 - IERESET.INF: SEARCH_PAGE_URL=http://home.microsoft.com/access/allinone.asp
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.virgin.net/
O16 - DPF: Win32 Classes - file://C:\WINDOWS\Java\classes\win32ie4.cab
O16 - DPF: Dialpad Java Applet - http://www.dialpad.com/applet/src/vscp.cab
:(

I don't see anything in there we can "disable".

The only thing short of getting the password from the previous owner, that I can think of is to go here:

http://www.virgin.net/

(using the machine your are on now) and see if you can find help.

We might be able to find something in a "startup list log".

If you want to try that, do this:

Run Hijack This!, Click on Config > Misc Tools, check both of the boxes under "Generate Startuplist Log", then click "Generate Startuplist Log" and post the log in here.

I don't know if we'll find anything or not.
I cannot run neither HJT not CWS now, it shows "Unexpected error" upon trying to open them. I used to have the same error on this computer and somehow it disappeared after running StartDreck and allowed me to open the two programs. However, this has not worked on the laptop. So I can't post a startup log yet. Regarding the problem I wrote about in my original post, in order to bypass the requirment of a logon password I IEradicated the Internet Explorer and then tried to install one anew. The laptop is using Win'95 so I had to download IE 5 but so far I have had problems downloading. Will have to try another site. The good thing is I can get online now with the laptop as I transferred on a diskette an AvantBrowser setup file and I surf with that now. thanks, lina