This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 32 & 64 Bit

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Friends,

I have recently bought a New AMD 64 bit dual processor Machine, with 1 gb ram, about 250 GB space. Please help me out to decide the Operating System to use! The dealer had shipped with Vista basic 32 bit.
I bought a vista ultimate cd, but later on found out that it is 32 Bit, and may not give the performance on my Machine, said friends. Next I bought xp 64 bit available with the dealer, but he warned me that their are problems in it, as the microsoft had just converted the bits, and the system hangs often.

I thought of going for ubuntu, but failed to understand the linux requirement, of commands, shells etc, so to be safe, I am fairly knowing windows, could keep with it. I request you all expert folks to help me out choosing the appropriate system. If you require more details please let me know. An early advise will be warmly wel-come! Help me understand, that 32 bits vista will not impact the machine in reverse slowing down, as feared, and if xp 64 bit does have an advantage.

Thanking you,
Ashfaq Shaikh.

as the microsoft had just converted the bits, and the system hangs often

That's not true at all.

Here's the deal. IF (that's a big if) you have a 64-bit capable motherboard and CPU, AND 64-bit drivers for all your hardware, AND 64-bit programs, you will see significant performance advantages with the 64-bit system.

However, not all hardware makers make reliable/stable 64-bit drivers for their add-on components. And since all 32-bit programs and applications will run just fine on 64-bit systems, most software developers do not code in both 32-bit and 64-bit because development costs are nearly double.

That said, since 64-bit Windows is 64-bit, all OS functions are performed in 64-bit mode, so that overhead processing does run quickly.

So, if you can find stable drivers for all your hardware components, and all your favorite programs come in 64-bit flavors, 64-bit may be for you. Will you SEE the performance gains? I don't know. It will not normally be significant - times are NOT cut in 1/2 simply because the pathway is twice as wide. You might notice the difference if a 32-bit system and a 64-bit system were sitting side-by-side.

My advice to you is, before you buy anything else, buy another 1Gb of RAM. 1Gb is on a single core XP system is fine, but with dual-cores, my standard recommendation is 1Gb per core - or 2Gb. And with any flavor of Vista, definitely 2Gb minimum total RAM.

as the microsoft had just converted the bits, and the system hangs often

That's not true at all.

Here's the deal. IF (that's a big if) you have a 64-bit capable motherboard and CPU, AND 64-bit drivers for all your hardware, AND 64-bit programs, you will see significant performance advantages with the 64-bit system.

However, not all hardware makers make reliable/stable 64-bit drivers for their add-on components. And since all 32-bit programs and applications will run just fine on 64-bit systems, most software developers do not code in both 32-bit and 64-bit because development costs are nearly double.

That said, since 64-bit Windows is 64-bit, all OS functions are performed in 64-bit mode, so that overhead processing does run quickly.

So, if you can find stable drivers for all your hardware components, and all your favorite programs come in 64-bit flavors, 64-bit may be for you. Will you SEE the performance gains? I don't know. It will not normally be significant - times are NOT cut in 1/2 simply because the pathway is twice as wide. You might notice the difference if a 32-bit system and a 64-bit system were sitting side-by-side.

My advice to you is, before you buy anything else, buy another 1Gb of RAM. 1Gb is on a single core XP system is fine, but with dual-cores, my standard recommendation is 1Gb per core - or 2Gb. And with any flavor of Vista, definitely 2Gb minimum total RAM.


Dear, thanks for the feed back, I do have all the drviers for 64 bit, my question was Should I go for the xp 64 bit, or the latest windows with additional features, what would be best suiting me as an operating system for this machine, I know Vista works, But I could not tell if the speed and functionality is same as it should be for 64 bit, xp as advised by my vendor, does it have any flaws? This is what I require!

Thanks.

Ashfaq.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI