Greetings
I checked the different forums & decided to try this post here. I'm hoping that this is ok to post & that I'm in the right forum.
My new computer is an AMD 64— I have received the new Windows 64 bit beta edition & want to find out about having a dual boot setup on winXP (pro vers). I read that this is not supported but that you can set up to run a dual boot. Also, that its better to set each OS up on a different drive if possible. The main problem I have other than not having experience running a dual boot sys is wondering about running programs. Will programs not specifically for the 64 bit processing run?
So if you can enlighten me — Please do. If anyone has any knowledge in this area using Win XP or 64 bit processors etcI would appreciate your thoughts!
Pros & Cons of
running a dual boot
why you think I should/shouldn't do this etc
thanks in advance
Nikitac
I run an amd 64 bit proc. I tried the 64 bit OS from microsoft. Here is what I found. 1.None of my hardware was supported . So I could only run 640x480 on my 21" monitor. 2. All programs run, but have to be translated from 32 bit to 64 bit format and then reconverted to interact with the program, so all 32 bit programs run slower on a 64 bit machine. I found no programs written for the 64 bit proc. ,though there may be some now.
Hello Eingram,
Thanks for your input. I imagined as much regarding the programs & drivers. I can see what you mean about losing any gains by having to constantly convert everything back to where it was to begin with. Too bad too. I think you're right about perhaps there are some programs coming out for 64 bit but whether any that I would really use are being offered is probably far-fetched.
Eingram did you use a dual boot sys to run it?
I love the speed & all with the added functionality so I don't think I'll put on WinXp 64 at this time however. It sounds like it would be a disappointment right now. Its sort of like having a jet engine but only a prop plane to put it in. LOL One day tho…..
Nikitac
hello,
i was considering a amd64, but have decided to wait alittle longer, even though the windows free beta was tempting. i can boot into W98,2K or mandrake all on one drive, i dont see why a duel boot on xp would be a problem.
heres alink to 32 vs 64 bit processing at the processor level, although it may be more than you want to know, i found it good reading………