This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 7 Student Offer Help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey Guys, I've got a bit of a dilemma regarding the Windows 7 Student offer. I can get Windows 7 for £30, however I have to choose between 64-bit and 32-bit. In the past I have had major problems with 64-bit which resulted in BSOD's, lots of faulty drivers and basically my PC became unusable. This happened to me when I tried installing Vista 64 but also when I tried installing Windows 7 RC 64. More specifically, the problem was with the nvlddmkm.dll file, which as far as I can see is a graphics driver file. So, my main dilemma is whether I should take the safe option of 32 bit, which will offer me complete compatibility with my existing hardware, or 64-bit, which will let me finally use my 4 Gigs of RAM. As far as I can see I can't change my mind about 32 bit or 64 bit once I buy it. The other thing that's making this decision a little bit harder is that in a year or so I'll be building a new system and giving this current one to my girlfriend so that she can play Sims 3. My plan is to use both our university address to get two copies of Windows 7, one for her, and one for me. I think my next rig will definitely be 64 bit, but what should I do with my current one? Cheers Nahumi
Hi, This looks like itts down to personal choice However if you are saying that 64bit is not compatible with your hardware then there is little point in opting for a 64 bit OS…….even though if you could get it to work it might be able to address more memory….. :) If you are only going to keep the machine for a year then 32 bit would seem to be the way to go for now…… at least it will work….. and then your partner will be able to get a 64 bit version, at the appropriate time, which should work OK with new hardware. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI