Please help! Over the last few weeks i have been downloading movies through bittorrent client all files are .avi and around 700mb each. I keep all 44 of them in a single folder on my desktop called 'movies'
About a week ago i downloaded a movie that said it rerquired riyocodec, so i went to the site and attempt to download the file, but straight away Mcafee kicked in saying it was a trojan and deleted it for me. So i deleted the movie that said it required it.
A few days later i am finding that i cannot open the 'movie' folder on my desktop without having windows close and receiving the box saying 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'
I have run scans with mcafee and adaware, all clean. I am at a loss what to try next.
Cheers
Mike
Great question. It is simple. Since illegal copying of copyrighted materials is nothing short of stealing, knowing that answer tells me if I want to help a someone who knowingly downloads, trades, and uses pirated software and copyrighted materials illegally, or an honest person with a legitimate problem.
Beyond that, and more to the point of your inquiry, as someone who has worked computer and network/Internet security for a couple decades, I know from experience that P2P sites and the trade of illegal copyrighted media files (tunes and videos) is a MAJOR source and avenue for the rampant propagation of malware. These activities threaten the security and wellbeing of the rest of us, our families and our computers. If I know the user is involved in illegal activities, I can almost be certain the cause of his or her problem is due to malicious code activity, and I may, if I decide to help, direct my troubleshooting advice accordingly.
Edit note: Edited to ensure comments are directed at the general public, and not at any specific individual - bill
There are tons of legal and illegal sources for media on the internet.
Many folks take advantage of either/both, just because it is available.
Unhappily, just because something "can" be done, doesn't mean that it is the right or safe thing to do.
Here at WTT we respect the legal rights of media owners, even when there are some who have good arguments to the contrary.
Please read the Terms of Use (as linked from the button at the top of any Forum page)
We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.
__________
Since we have no way of knowing how you ran afoul of your present difficulty, we can only ask and recommend accordingly.
P2P file sharing remains one of the most popular and active transactions on the Internet.
But again, just because it is popular, it doesn't mean that it is always the right or legal thing to do.
One of the "consequences" that P2P users often encounter is malware infection.
You have run afoul of such a consequence – riyocodec.
No matter how innocently you may have acted, you apparently browsed into and downloaded from a less than scrupulous source.
WTT doesn't support that action and strongly recommends against it.