Every time I open a folder with an avi file in it I get an explorer.exe error message that reads "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." The problem isn't in opening the files, i am able to play the avi's with media programs. the error occurs when a windows folder containing the avi files is opened and viewed.
There are a couple of causes of this problem and a couple of fixes.
First, lets see if you have a version of DivX installed that might have a bug. Go to control panel -> add/remove programs. See if there is a DivX player listed there. See what version it is. I believe it will tell you along with the name in the listing. If you have version 5.2 or older you might want to uninstall it and try downloading the newest version here: http://www.divx.com/en/downloads
If you don't see any DivX stuff then try the following commands at a command prompt: (Click start -> run -> type cmd and press ENTER)
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
regsvr32 shmedia.dll
If you are still unable to open folders with .AVI files in them after this then please do the following:
Open regedit by click start -> run -> typing regedit and pressing ENTER.
Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler.
Right-click the "PropertyHandler" key and click EXPORT.
At the bottom of the export window click "Selected Branch"
Now, give the file a name like AVIRegBackup.reg and save it on your desktop or in my documents.
When that is exported, find the (Default) entry listed under the "PropertyHandler" section and delete it.
Reboot your computer and see if you can open folders with .AVI files now.
It may work.. At the very least it may help identify what program is causing the problem by revealing what is handling .avi files. Then we can repair that program. But, its not going to do anything automatically. You're going to have to identify and manage the necessary information and I'm not sure what to look for because I have never used that program.
My original thought on this was to have you download the K-Lite Codec Pack to see if it was just a damaged codec. I would try downloading and installing the "FULL" version found at that link. It may also fix your problem.
EDIT: You had no problems removing the (Default) entry in that registry key I gave you?
I created a .reg modification to remove that entry from the registry just in case you didn't get something right.
If you have backed up that key, please download and unzip the attached file and double-click the RemoveAVIHandler.reg file. Allow it to be imported into your registry.
This will remove that handler entry.
I'm not sure if it requires a reboot or not to make that change take effect so you might want to reboot anyways and then see if the problem still persists.
📎RemoveAVIHandler.zip
Your directions were easy to follow and I no problems removing the (Default) entry in that registry key. Your original thought was right, it was damaged codec.
Thank you for all your help!