This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

NOD32 Antivirus System

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone,

I had virus problem the other day & am being helped in HJT forum here (http://forums.whatthetech.com/Backdoor_SdBot_bdy_t83693.html) . But that is not the reason why I am posting here at the moment.

Were I work is were I learned about avast pro and honestly I think it works just fine. They currently using this antivirus system located here (http://www.eset.com/). The IT guy at works seems to think this is a much better system than avast & I am considering on switching to it on one of my 4 systems here at home just to give it a try. Avast is already expired on it.

My question is. What do you think of it & if you know what the best configuration is after installation?

Also, I had DAP (Down Load Accelerator) on my system & I have noticed a difference on much quicker it works when downloading files. I uninstalled it because I just do not trust it antmore due to the reason why I had to seek help in removing a trojan that was installed in my system. Everytime I downloaded something I noticed .mpg files in Download Accelerator which were XXX mini movies that I did not download.

My question here is. Is there a better download accelerator than dap that is trusted that you can suggest?

Thank You in advanced….
Hello Joecastle… NOD32 is an outstanding Anti Virus application and will give you very adequate protection when installed using the default settings. It has a very small system footprint and is basically an "install it and forget it" application. In my opinion, it's the best available. That said, Avast! is good, as well, though the "vocal" update alerts are a bit annoying. Another free application that is very adequate is AVG and is what I usually recommend to those looking for a free AV application. wannabe1
Hello again JoeCastle,

Download accelerators provide a service by searching for better/faster locations to draw the download from.
Sometimes, but not always, they do provide a faster download.
If you have broadband (dsl or cable) the improvement may not be noticeable.
If you are on dial-up the improvement may be more noticeable.

They most often support this service by streaming advertisements to the user while downloading.
They also have to obtain information from you… what you are downloading, from where and to where.

I don't like giving away information about machine and internet activity.

DAP does serve advertisements on their free-version.
You should read their Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, or EULA.
(you may not like what you read about how they handle/share information about you)
Their paid version ($49) may be ad free, but still has to identify you and coordinate the various sites/mirrors from which it downloads to you. (more information about you being given away, in my opinion)

I don't know of any "more safe" download accelerator.
They provide a commercial service and want to get paid, either from you or their advertising associates.
_________

I think the bigger problem can be "what is being downloaded" and from "what sites".
The "content" that you select to download may be just fine, but the "content provider" may have other things in mind for you.

Best Regards
Thank You wannabe1 & Doug for your quick responses, wannabe1, I will be purchasing NOD32 for all 4 of my PC's. I will use AVG for the 1 PC that avast has expired & wait till the others expire so that I may purchase the 4 pack that they offer. Thank you again for your advise. Hello again Doug, Thank once again for your help. lol.. I will stay away from DAP. I do not want to give out any of my system info as well!! Again Thank you both for your proffessional help…

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI