Well, my Norton online subscription is soon to expire. I have the free AVG version I use to check for problems also, but would like a recommendation other than Norton. I also see on the board that Norton slows down the computer. Thanks for the help!
You should really only have one antivirus product installed on your system at any one time. The reason being is that antivirus software tend to clash with each other. That said, since you have AVG, uninstall Norton, and stick with AVG.
Ax, as mentioned I have the free Version of AVG. The application is in my documents folder and not actually installed on the machine. I access it at times so I can find things that Norton does not find. Norton updates itself automatically and I cannot ever remember it finding anything. You thnk the free version is all one should run, or get the paid version. I appreciate you helping me!
Blair, thanks for the site I will check it out. Are you using the free antivirus program from this site?
I appreciate you helping me.
All of the free programs mentioned offer effective protection. I've had very good luck with AVG and install it routinely on machines I build. If you are interested in a full featured application (not free), you might look at NOD32. In my opinion, NOD32 is about the best AV application available and has a very small system footprint.
If you are looking for a paid product, the following is a breakdown of features for the top antivirus software: Anti-Virus Software Review 2007
It appears that BitDefender is the number one rated, also one of the cheapest :). It has been ranked highest of all antivirus software at just about every review I've looked at so far.
You should really only have one antivirus product installed on your system at any one time.
Actually, that is incorrect. You can certainly have more than one AV program installed - however, you should not have more than one running in memory (also called active scanning, real-time, in resident, et al) at any given time. Therefore, you can have AVG, for example, running full time, but then for a double check or supplemental scanning, you can also have one of the other AV programs installed and use it as an on-demand scanner. The important thing to remember then is to disable your real-time scanner while performing supplemental scans.
This "rule" of not having more than one AV scanner running at any given time is true for real-time anti-spyware scanners and software based firewalls too. However, with firewalls, there is no need for a second software based firewall at all, since they do not scan files. You can (and should) however, have a software based firewall, such as ZoneAlarm or Comodo AND a hardware based firewall, or something that acts as such such as a cable/DSL router with NAT, and preferably, stateful packet inspection.
I currently use AVG for family and friends but will be switching the wife and others over to Avast shortly. As for myself, I have used both Kaspersky and NOD32. I like both of them but find NOD32 much less resource hungry.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI