This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Norton Internet security

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've used Norton for many years; mainly, because it's been fast, secure, and convenient. BUT, lately almost every download has to apply a patch - especially when using Windows 7 Ultimate. I know Norton is pretty much in bed with Microsoft - but anyone know what's going on with the patch. It's annoying because it closes all the applications during the process.

I know Norton is pretty much in bed with Microsoft

What? That could not be further from the truth, and never has been true!
 
No doubt NIS is a good security program, but I see no reason to pay for a security program when Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and Windows Firewall, and keeping Windows updated works just fine.

Well, I'm surprised. In every independent comparison I've found MSE & Windows Firewall couldn't even come close to protection like the other top name virus software on the market. You might want to check these reliable web-sites:

 

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/software/1000270/microsoft-security-essentials-2015-review

 

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-defender,review-2209.html

 

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

 

On the NIS subject - any idea on the patch?

That's because Microsoft stopped trying to score well on those "synthetic" comparisons and instead, focuses on the real world threats users encounter. Did you read the update in your howtogeek link?

You might want check this reliable source: Ask Leo! Do I Need to Stop Using Microsoft Security Essentials?

As far as the Norton patch, no idea. I gave up on NIS 10 years ago when it became so bloated with extras most users never need. I've been using MSE and Windows Firewall on all our W7 systems since October 2009 when W7 came out, and the new Windows Defender and WF on all W8 systems since it came out with no problems.

I do however, use MBAM as a supplemental scanner just to make sure MSE/WD (or me) didn't let anything through. But of course, having using a supplemental scanner is a must regardless your primary scanner.

Let me add something here. You don't need to drive an Abrams's tank to be safe while driving. But what you MUST do is keep your plain ol' average car properly maintained - that is, current and fully updated, and MOST IMPORTANTLY you must drive defensively - regardless if driving a tank, or a motorscooter.
 
So if you keep Windows fully updated, use a firewall, use a current anti-malware solution, and MOST IMPORTANTLY you avoid risky behavior - that is, you don't partake in illegal activities like illegal filesharing via torrents or P2P sites, you don't visit illegal pornography or gambling sites, and you are not "click-happy" on unsolicited downloads, attachments and links, it does not matter which anti-malware solution you use. And for that reason, I see no reason to spend gobs of money every year or so on a product that will not keep you any safer.
 
IF MSE/WD were so unsafe as those comparison reviews, and Norton would like you to believe, where are the 10s, 100s of millions of infected MSE/WD users? MSE is reported to be the most popular AV program in North America and the 2nd most popular in the world. If MSE/WD was so unsafe, surely there would be millions and millions of unhappy users. Where are they?

They are not there! Why? Because MS is constantly - and I mean almost daily, pushing out via Windows Updates (something users have running anyway) updates to constantly address the current and ever changing security environment.

 

Bottom line, as someone who has been responsible for maintaining some of the most secure government, corporate and personal networks in this country (see the link in my sig for more info), I have no reservations whatsoever in recommending MSE/WD and Windows firewall to anyone - as long as they also keep Windows updated on a timely basis, and don't partake in illegal activities on line.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI