This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Need a virus scanner

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I had a problem with malware, not anymore though, so I still have Malware Bytes installed, but my Norton account recently ended, so until I get a new one, whats a good program to use in the mean time? I wanna scan for viruses and such, even though I dont download anything, generally. Thanks for the help!
Hi HarleyQuinn,

Here's some free ones you can use. Only install one of them.

Norton will need to be uninstalled before installing the new one. You should also run the Norton removal Tool after you uninstall it.

Download the AV of you choice and save it to your desktop.

Download the Norton removal tool.

Disconnect from the internet completely, pull the plug on the modem if you have to.

Uninstall norton and run the tool.

Install your new AV.


Norton removal Tool

Download the Norton Removal Tool from HERE and save it to your desktop.

Next Right click on Norton_Removal_Tool.exe and chose Run as Administrator to run the tool.

Follow the on-screen instructions.
Your computer may be restarted more than once, and you may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.

Free Antivirus programs

Avast
Help and support can be found here Avast Forum
AVG
Help and support can be found here AVG Forum
Antivir PersonalEditionClassic
Help and support can be found here Avira Personal Support Forum
Microsoft Security Essentials
Support
Thank you very much. I chose AVG, is it normal that I had to reconnect to the net to install and download it? Im guessing it is, though. :) Again, thank you. :)
Hi HarleyQuinn, Hmmm….was sure I replied earlier. You're welcome. You should have been able to download the install package prior to getting ready to install it. The main thing is you got it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI