This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

NV4_disp display driver?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

For the past fews days my computer has been shutting itself off. A quick error message comes up on the screen and then it shuts off. I can't read the message because it goes by too fast. I'm suprised it's stayed on this long to type this message. It's also been kinda slow. The last time it happened a windows message came up stating I have a problem with my NV4_disp display driver. Anyone know what's going on? For a while I thought I'd have to get rid of the thing because I've been having problems lately. Thanks
Hi rdrish, Do you have an onboard video adapter as well as a nVidia PCI video adapter card? Can you check your Device Manager to see if there are any yellow or red warnings about Video Driver (or problems with any other driver) ? Have you made any hardware or software changes to the machine just before the problem started? Does the problem occur specifically when performing one function or type of function, but not during other functions? For instance, does the problem occur when you load a game, but not when doing ordinary browsing? Have you opened the case recently to blow out the dust bunnies to reduce heat related problems? With a little more information we may be able to assist. Best Regards
Thank you Digerati, Your questions are absolutely on target. I was getting ahead of myself and should have asked those questions first. I hope you stick around. :thumbup: Good helpers are good to find. Best Regards
Hi guys! Thanks for your responses. I don't have any or play any games really on my computer. The last time it shut off was while I was on youtube. It would basically shut off while browsing on the internet. The last time it happened, it went into Safe Mode by itself with the NV4_display error popping up. I cleaned out the dust inside and when finished, I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't start up. Just a black screen. The hard drive isn't making noise like they usually do when starting up. The powere light comes on, but nothing. If you look at my last topic, I had a problem with it and had to ditch everything and go to the factory settings. Is there hope for my computer?

I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't start up. Just a black screen. The hard drive isn't making noise like they usually do when starting up. The powere light comes on, but nothing.

So is this the latest status? If so, then it sounds like your power supply unit (PSU) is no longer delivering +12V to the drives. Do the fans spin?

You could try swapping in a known good PSU, take it to a shop and ask them to test it, or get a tester. I keep a FrozenCPU Ultimate PSU Tester in my travel tool bag. It is not as good as a good meter in the hands of a qualified technician, but darn close. The CompUSA PSU Tester is considerably cheaper, less informative, but still useful. And Newegg has several to choose from. These all contain a "dummy load" to fool the PSU into thinking it is connected to a motherboard, and therefore allow the PSU to power on, if able, without being attached to a motherboard - great for testing fans too.
Fans run off +12V but PSUs also put out +5VDC and +3.3VDC. The better PSUs have two or more separate 12V "rails". So even if the fans are working, the other voltages may not. If you find your PSU is bad, I recommend you replace it with a good PSU - not a budget model. It is not just about watts, but about available current and stability. Use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your power supply requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom. I recommend you set Capacitor Aging to 30% and if you participate in distributive computing projects, I recommend setting TDP to 100%. Then look for brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Don't try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply. A good, well chosen supply will treat your digital electronics right, and provide you years of service and upgrade wiggle room.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI